Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello

5 posters

Go down

Hello Empty Hello

Post by Jo Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:56 am

Hi, I am Jo and I have a 4 year old Shire called Trelawny - I have had him since a yearling and we have been bitless from the start. We are also treeless and barefoot. I think this forum is a really great thing and gives me the chance to chat to like minded people when all around me are traditionalists!!!!
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Hello Empty Re: Hello

Post by Admin Mon Aug 11, 2008 6:13 am

Welcome to you and your beautiful horse
sunny cheers sunny
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://bitlesshorse.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Aug 11, 2008 8:22 am

Hi Jo!

I love the pic of you on Trelawny! You look so tiny on that gentle giant.

I'm excited about having like-minded people to talk to as well.

Cyndi
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by PiePony Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:56 pm

I am still reading introductions to familiarise myself with the members.

I love Trelawny.

I don't think Arthur will grow so large. He is pure bred Shire horse, but a first foal for his dam Brickell Lily by Brickell John Little, himself around 17hh, not an 18hh plus giant.

I treated myself having contacted Shire Breeders and bought at weaning last year. Never knew they were a different species to Thoroughbreds.
I would love to know more about your training and raising of Trelawny.

I weigh 7st 6 lbs and looking at Arthur as a yearling he probably could manage me now, since I do not represent a huge amount more than the difference between gorging on Spring grass and lean times. But I will play on the ground and respect his growth and need for maturing bones and joints, such a lot of maturity to go on there.

Wondered how you approached bringing on Trelawny, they are big babies when you are a slight human on the ground.
(Although my TB was 16.2hh and a big enough baby for me to lead and introduce to traffic on road walks in hand)

Love to hear your story. Is this a breed you have a lot of experience of or is Trelawny your first Shire Horse?
Susie xx PiePony
PiePony
PiePony

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Fri Oct 17, 2008 9:58 am

Hi
Trelawny is my first Shire and I had him as a yearling - he is 4 1/2 now. They are totally different to any other breed - so gentle, yet cheeky, and not thick as some might think. Trelawny likes to think things through but picks new things up really quickly - like every time he is good when a car passes him he gets a small treat - (we havent done a lot of road work as we live in a very rural area with access to acres of woodland and farmland). Shires mature slowely and the trick is not to rush your chap. they dont mature until they are 7 or 8. My boy is pretty tall as you know but he hasnt finished filling out yet (getting to be a major problem with rugs!). I want to train him to harness but wont do that until next year.
Basically I just spent hours and hours with him - and took him on lots of doggy walks. He was quite balshy when he arrived and the breeder had bribed him with polos which took a while to sort out but he is just such a gentle soul it may sound daft but we just 'know' each other. We both have our off days and thats the time when a simple grooming session, or just sitting in the field with him is all that is required. There are some photos of him in the gallery - take a peek
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by PiePony Fri Oct 17, 2008 4:41 pm

Arthur is definately cheeky with a big brain.
You lucky person having plenty of off road riding.
I think I am just stunned that I reached my 50's and had not realised that Thoroughbreds are horses but Shires are something else.
I mistakenly thought he would be slower, not with such a huge stride, relatively easy, no, Arthur is oblivious to the destruction he causes, he turns around, forgets he has grown a few inches and things break.
Even if I wanted to shut him in I dare not, he climbs.
More like a giant puppy dog than a horse, with a bit of hippo thrown in, he loves water and mud, but my last two horses, my Gypsy Cob, Daniel and my Shire, Arthur, have a good firm hold of my heart strings.
Enjoyed your photo's now I have found the personal albums, all nice but my favourite is the camping picture. xx
PiePony
PiePony

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:57 am

They are definately oversized puppies! And Trelawny is still clumsy - although not as bad as he used to be. He can shift when he wants to - and he too ploughs through anything in front of him whereas other horses would tiptoe through daintily (including hedgerows that I can not get through - and am left hanging from a tree branch. He just turned around and said what are you doing there??!!!) He doesnt like walking through mud very much - -doesnt like getting his feet dirty I guess- but enjoys water.
They are tremendous fun - I laugh every day with Trelawny. and despite his size, people who are generally wary of horses feel really comfortable around him because he is so gentle.
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by saddlechariot Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:41 pm

Really lovely to see working animals. Trelawney is magic. You will have loads of fun.
Simon

Last edited by saddlechariot on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:42 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
saddlechariot
saddlechariot

http://naturaldriving.co.uk/content_2scuk.php

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum