A very challenging week...

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

A very challenging week...

Post by HorseHippie on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:43 am

Which all started last Tuesday night....

I went out on Tuesday night to do the night check on the horses and put the donkeys in the barn (they can't handle the cold so they go in at night) and everyone was doing great.

I get home from work on Wednesday afternoon and my husband arrived shortly afterward. He looks after the horses in the morning for me as I am generally on the road by six every morning. Sooo, he went out on Wednesday morning to find blood everywhere! I was all over the snow, all over the bale feeder and all over Biscuit and Buster - Buster literally looked like he went thru the wars! Stetson on the other hand was clean as a whistle with only a little bit of blood on the inside of his nostril and he was pretty subdued. So, it is our theory that Stetson had nosebleed. My husband and I just thought we would keep an eye on him and if things got worse, we would call a vet. Over the next few days, he looked good, eating, drinking, peeing, pooping, etc. I thought whatever it was, he is over it and still seems to be.

BUT THEN ON SUNDAY AFTERNOON.....

I was in the barn all morning cleaning stalls, tidying up, getting hay sorted, visiting with all my four legged friends and then I went to my sisters house while my husband went to feed our cows. We both got home at the same time (about 4 hours later) and the whole family decided we would go to the barn together and put the donkeys in, make sure Carlos the barn cat is okay and check that Alex the orphaned calf we have in there was alright for the night - you know regular nightly chores for me.

Anywho, as I was walking to the fence, BISCUIT comes up and you know how sometimes when you go out in the cold and you get that white hoar frost over your hair and such when it is humid out....my chestnut horse was completely white. As I got closer to him, I noticed that he had been sweating and then I looked at his nose - it was like he had dipped his nostrils in a can of red paint!!!! And then I noticed he had sprayed blood all over his legs - he was just a mess. So, decided to check out the other 2 horses and they were fine, but they were just covered in blood spray transfer from Biscuit. There was so much blood in Stetson tail, that I thought he was pooping it! I lifted and he was all nice in clean in that area so I knew it wasn't his blood.

So, we brought Biscuit into the barn and put him in the donkey stall for the night. I checked his temp and he was okay, he wasn't bleeding anymore and he was eating and drinking. The sweat had dried off, but I still put a heat lamp over him to warm him up a bit. I went to the house and made him a nice beet pulp ration with a couple of good swigs of table salt in it to replace whatever he lost while sweating and to make him drink to replace fluid loss too.

Talked it over with my husband and a friend of mine and we all decided to wait til the morning to see how he was. Morning came (after a few middle of the night checks) and he was dried off, alert, happy and ready to get out of that stall. So, I kicked him out and he has been fine ever since. I then went out to see if there was anything that the horses could have gotten into - since now 2 (we think, 1 for sure) of my 3 horses have had nosebleeds, there is definately something going on. Well, on my search to find the culprit, I couldn't believe the amount of blood I found laying around in the snow! It was unbelievable! I am not kidding when I say that Biscuit should have been dead with the amount of blood he lost.

I called the vet and told him what happened and he is just as stumped as I am. Of course, poison was the first thing that we thought of - rat poison to be specific - but we don't use such stuff. My vet is coming out tomorrow to pull blood and have a good look at everyone. We, of course, have removed the big round bale that they were eating out of as our next thought was poisonous plants. The area that the bale came from should not have anything poisonous in it as we have been baling and feeding it for the past 10 years.

So, until I get labs done, all I can do is keep an eye on everyone. I have been feeding everyone some beet pulp with kidney and liver flush to help push any toxins out and boost their immune systems and making sure they are drinking.

Any other thoughts that what might be causing my horses to have nosebleeds?

I'll keep you posted on my guys.
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Re: A very challenging week...

Post by Cyndi on Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:36 am

Wow, "what a week" is right!!!

I'm sorry, but I have no suggestions, but I sure hope you find some answers soon.

I'll be thinking about you and your herd!
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:34 pm

Thanks Cyndi!
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Tue Jan 05, 2010 7:06 pm

Found this site just now when I googled "reasons for horses to get nosebleeds". Pretty much every site gave the same information (some of them pretty much word for word). Here's one of the links...

http://www.helium.com/items/1519312-causes-of-nosebleeds-in-horses
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG on Wed Jan 06, 2010 2:12 am

HOw weird is that? And if it had been e.g.poison they would have shown signs of illness, they wouldn't recover like they did.
the only thing I can offer is that I once had a horse bleed from a really deep hoof cut and the blood was in pools on the floor - it looked like she was bleeding to death - the vet said it was about 2 pints, not actually much for a horse, but it's a bit like spilling milk you can't believe that much liquid was in that small bottle, so possibly they didn't lose as much as you think, especially if they were sneezing it out everywhere.
I once had a clients horse with a guttural pouch infection, that caused massive bleeding from both nostrils and he had to be operated on to clear it, but there is no way you would get 2 horses with this at the same time
Keep us posted
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch on Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:00 am

God scary! Best of luck to you and your herd HorseHippie. Haven't heard of anything similar myself.
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:26 am

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

The vet will be out today to examine the pair of them. I will for sure keep you posted. I have been reading lots on the internet as well but with so much info out there, it is hard to keep it all straight! Ha ha! Too confusing...everything from lung bleeding, the gutteral pouch infections as FlorayG suggested, poisoning, and worms in the bloodstream.

Everyone looked great last night when I went out. I will let you know what the vet has to say...

Last edited by HorseHippie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:27 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : smilies aren't working....)
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:43 pm

[font=Calibri][size=12][color=#000000]I just got off the phone with my husband and the vet was out to check on my horses and try and solve the nosebleeding mystery. All we know is that Stetson and Biscuit are still anaemic. Biscuit worse than Stetson. So, just need to get some more iron into their system and keep doing the gum test. Stetsonís peeing problem is fine. (On Sunday while I was cleaning the barn, Stetson peed like 6 times and I was a little concerned...) He had a nice pee for vet in the fresh white snow and he had lots of it and it was a normal color. So, the vet poked and prodded all three horses and temps are good, heart rates are good (the vet actually expected them to be elevated in Biscuit and Stetson because of the blood loss, so he was really happy to see that they were normal), lungs were clear and breathing was normal. He looked at the hay and said it was a lot nicer than what he was feeding his own horses and canít see it being the problem. He said that all three are in great shape, not to fat and not too skinny and they have excellent feet. I guess the vet did the same research about nosebleeds as I and came prepared to expect the worst and now is more stumped than ever. All he said about the nosebleeds as since it was both nostrils (for sure Biscuit as both my husband and I seen it) that it would have to be a lung problem but his examination of the lungs didnít suggest any problems. So, he is just as confused as my husband and I. He figured it was some sort of anomaly and doesnít think it will happen again. [/color][/size][/font]

[font='Calibri'][color=#000000]So, all and all, the vet gave my husband and I a pat on the back for having 3 healthy horses and to keep doing what we are doing.[/color][/font]
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Wed Jan 06, 2010 8:05 pm

Glad to hear that all is well!! Hope the vet is right and this doesn't happen again. Not half as much as you hope it doesn't happen again, I'll bet!!

Congrats on taking such good care of the horses!!

The weather's been really cold out your way, hasn't it? Makes you wonder if the air was just so cold and dry that it caused the nosebleeds. That happens to people, so you never know if it happens to horses...but what do I know? LOL
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Thu Jan 07, 2010 6:22 am

Yes, I am very happy all of them are doing well!

As for the weather, it is a nice balmy minus 35 this morning with a windchill of minus 44 degrees celcius! Someday I will be warm again! LOL!

All the horses are doing well. They truly love their beet pulp at night with added kidney and liver flush. I will be getting some organic iron from Riva's Remedies in the mail to help with the anemia tomorrow so they will get some of that too. Apparently, lots of horses are anemic but it doesn't get really noticed until it becomes moderate-severe....interesting....

Thanks for all the kind words everyone!
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG on Fri Jan 08, 2010 2:17 am

oh, and people think it is too cold here - minus 5 Celcius and the whole country comes to a halt!
Do you ride when it is cold and snow on the ground? I want to ride tomorrow and everybody here is saying it's too dangerous what do you think, being experienced in this sort of weather?

It will be so frustrating if you never get to the bottom of this bleeding thing, even if it never happens again, won't it? I once had a mare I bought for breeding, I could never get her in foal, every vet said there was nothing wrong with her and I spent huge amounts of money because they said to just keeping on trying. I gave up after 5 years and several thousand pounds vet and stud bills! Shocked
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Fri Jan 08, 2010 6:11 am

When it is as cold as it is now, I don't ride, but in the winter time, it if it is minus 25 or so and no windchill, sure, I'll hop on bareback. Love the bitless bridle for winter riding, no cold steel to deal with!!!

Horses were all back to their normal pesky selves last night - they sure love to see that yellow pail in the evening!!! Supper time!
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:16 am

Well, it happened again! Sad

Biscuit had another episode on Sunday morning. I am just at my wits end. I have another call into the vet to see what the next steps are and then go from there.

Poor guy, he just looks so pathetic. My flighty, fun loving arab is subdued and tired.

This episode wasn't as bad as the last one (January 3rd) but he still got sweated up and such. At least the weather has smartened up here. We should be above 0 Celcius today...much better than the minus 46 last week so Biscuit should be a little more comfy...

Keep you all posted....
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Mon Jan 11, 2010 6:49 am

Aw, crappolla!! I hope you can get this figured out.

I'm glad this episode wasn't as bad as the first, and that the weather is better out your way.
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch on Mon Jan 11, 2010 3:12 pm

God poor Biscuit! Thinking of you guys...
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:20 am

Thanks everyone for your thoughts...

I talked to the vet yesterday and unfortunately, he is going on vacation for a week. But, he is definately going to come out and do a blood test for toxins, poisons, infections and to see if the horses are lacking something that is preventing the blood clotting process. He did say that since the blood is coming from both nostrils that we need to look below the nose (lungs, stomach, etc...)

So, until then, all three horses are on beet pulp, organic iron, free choice hay and fresh water. I did have them on kidney and liver flush just in case it was/is a toxin of some sort, but the vet asked me to stop so that the blood he pulls will be uncompromised.

In the mean time, I just keep a close eye on them and if something happens to phone the closest vet as soon as I can and document everything for when my vet gets back...

This really sucks...

On a happier note, the sun is shining the snow is melting and it is above freezing and supposed to stay this way for a couple of weeks....

Let's keep our fingers crossed!
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:03 pm

Well, we had to put my poor friend Biscuit down yesterday... Sad
I had the trimmer out yesterday for Biscuit and Stetson. We had just finished with Stetson and I went and got Biscuit. I brought him into the barn and just as my trimmer was going to pick up his foot, the blood started pouring out of both nostrils.

I called 2 vets and neither could make it. In the span of 15 minutes my poor fellow was just about bled out. I had to get my darling, loving, strong husband to send him over the rainbow bridge for me.

One of the vets called me back and told me she suspected gutteral pouch mycosis. Did some reading and just can't see it being the cause. I figure tumor or something....it just didn't seem right. This time the blood was definately arterial. I am still going to get the vet out and pull blood on the other two as a precaution.

Yesterday morning before my trimmer came out, I spent a couple of hours in the barn doing the usual stall cleaning and tidying up and my friend Biscuit was being his usual pesky self and we had a good two hours together before his incident. I will keep those memories very close.
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney on Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:04 pm

Oh my gosh I am soooo sorry! That is such a lonely feeling having to end your friends life. I am glad he did not suffer.

I wish I would have found this sooner but I have been soooo busy!
The second I found this I thought of guttural pouch mycosis. I have seen a standardbred horse with a sudden bad nosebleed die very quickly. It was caused by a mycotoxin in the hay. They suspected a dead bird or rat in the hay that caused it since it was a round bale. But it's not just hay that can harbor bad toxins in the horses environment. Straw, shavings, anything lying around that can gather mold.
What happens in a nutshell is the fungi errodes the walls of the blood vessels that run along the guttural pouch walls until eventually the horse either bleeds to death if not treated immediately because the blood vessel/artery ruptures or becomes so lethargic he dies of starvation very suddenly.

I would call another vet if possible because your story sounds exactly like the standardbred mare that I witnessed the after effects of guttural pouch mycosis.

From what my instructor said from Guelph when we were going over diseases is guttural pouch mycosis, for the arteries to errode there actually has to be a defect in the artery. Not that uncommon so it may be that not all horses suffer from it when the toxins are present.

Again, I am soooo incredibly sorry. I will be thinking of you, poor biscuit and stetson. I wish the best for him, I hope he can make it though whatever this is and hopefully it is not guttural pouch mycosis.
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:41 pm

Oh Horsehippie!!!! I am on the verge of tears!! I am SO sorry to hear about your loss.

I am so glad you got to spend that time with Biscuit before the trimmer came.

I wish I could give you a huge hug right now. I'm sending one to you through here.
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG on Mon Jan 18, 2010 2:28 am

oh that's awful; what a thing to have happen. at least your husband was able to help in the end and you were there for Biscuit when it happened.

I hope the others are alright and I hope you find out what it was. Please let us know.
XXXXX
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Fri Jan 22, 2010 7:44 am

How you doing, HorseHippie? Been thinking about you.
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG on Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:07 am

yeah me too...worrying about your other horses
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by fin on Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:15 am

So sorry to read your sad news. I've never lost a horse that wasn't old, which was bad enough. To lose a young one so suddenly must be very hard. I just hope the others are alright.
fin

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch on Tue Jan 26, 2010 3:16 pm

So sorry for your loss Horsehippie. I'm thinking of you and your other horses...
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie on Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:44 pm

Hey everyone, sorry I haven't been around. Internet availability went from slim to darn near none!

Thanks for all the kind words and for thinking of me and my horses....

Stetson and Buster are doing very well. The blood work for both has been sent off and I am just waiting on results. I will definately keep you posted!

Thanks again everyone!
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next