Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products....

3 posters

Go down

Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products.... Empty Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products....

Post by HorseHippie Thu May 20, 2010 11:31 am

Can I mix them?
I am putting Stetson on Respi-Free for a few days until the vet sees him on Tuesday. He has the boogers and is coughing a bit - don't need heaves!!! I personally think allergies are causing the boogers and the fact he needs his teeth done are causing the cough - he is coughing like he hasn't chewed his food enough and is getting big chunks down his throat. But since I lost Biscuit, if my horses even look "off" I want to call the vet for everything...

Buuut, I also want to deworm as well so I bought some Para-X for my boys. Do you think it would be okay to mix the two?

Opinions, suggestions?

Thanks!!!

Last edited by HorseHippie on Thu May 20, 2010 11:32 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : The smilies still aren't working!!! :()
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products.... Empty Re: Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products....

Post by Cyndi Fri May 21, 2010 10:05 am

I hope Stetson is feeling better! I know what you mean about wanting to call the vet for 'everything'! I'd rather err on the side of being too cautious rather than leaving something too long, which I've done to myself (I've waited too long to go to a doctor and heard the old, "Why'd you wait so long to come in?!" But doctor, it was only a little congestion...sinus infection!)

I recall reading testimonials about a product, and how the people were saying what they were giving their horses (and I believe it was all at the same time), but I don't know if it was the Omega Alpha products. I went to their website last night, but couldn't find testimonials at all. Sorry, I'm not much help. The Respi-Free has to be given with a syringe, according to the website, so maybe if you gave it that way and then gave the Para-X with some beet pulp afterwards? Maybe space it a bit?

I finally got Fanny to take the Para-X without too much fuss. I bought another large syringe that has a longer tip on it, so I was able to just put the tip into the corner of her mouth and gently squeeze. And she seemed to take it better on her left side than her right...strange as that sounds. She still drops her head down to knee level to avoid taking it. She was doing that the other day (I call it sulking) when I gave her her last dose for three months, and she started moving her lips on my pant leg. The next thing I knew, the little beggar took a little nip at my knee!! I've been debating whether or not I should go back to Riva's Remedies for the deworming, because it's easier to hide in a "salad", but because she was taking the Para-X better towards the end, I might just keep at it. The recommendation for Para-X is once every three months, whereas the Riva's Remedies stuff is two-to-four times a year. Not sure what to do yet. Maybe I'll just test her before I do the next dose and see what it shows.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products.... Empty Re: Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products....

Post by HorseHippie Thu May 27, 2010 8:28 am

Thanks Cyndi,

The vet was out on Tuesday to have a look at Stetson, and yup, he needed his teeth done. He also got his vaccinations too.

As for the Respiratory issue, seems to have cleared up. My vet said it was probably allergies but still gave me the speech about no round bales, easy on the dust, all that preventative goodness.

And Buster got his vaccine too and he really didn't like it...doesn't like the pokeys...

And the respi-free, I think I may take it next time I have chest congestion - Stetson didn't really care for it but I am addicted to the smell.

The para-x is nicely hidden in the beet pulp so I am pretty happy about that!!!
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Thu May 27, 2010 9:59 am

I dont see why you couldn't mix them. I have.
Indigo LOOOOVVES para X She would gladly eat it off a spoon.
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Thu May 27, 2010 10:25 am

Glad to hear that Stetson is feeling better! LOL with you taking the respi-free! Sometimes I wonder...if it is safe for a horse to ingest, couldn't I take a small amount??!!! Quick question about the Omega Alpha Products.... Icon_smile

I still haven't tried Fanny with beet pulp, as much as I'd like to. It'd be much better for her, when you look at Marijke's chart of 'feeds' in her book. Even beet pulp with molasses is better for her specific needs than oats! At this point, I think I'd make myself into a royal pain at the barn if I 'demanded' that she get it. I don't know what the big deal is with feeding horses individually, except that feeding them all the same thing is easier. There is a young gelding that gets a pellet supplement added to his rations, so I don't know why I couldn't have beet pulp in addition to the supplements that I provide for her.

Sydney, I wish Fanny was as eager to take the Para-X as Indigo is!! To me, it smells like green tea and quite lovely.

I offered Fanny a small bit of banana this morning and she actually turned her head away!!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Thu May 27, 2010 10:28 am

It took Indigo months to like banana. She HATED it and would mush it into my hands and turn her head away. It was funny the day Naigen died I had a bunch of Banana's for the old girl and when I went to brush Indigo I was eating one and she hoovered it out of my hands much to my surprise. Just like how most horses are unsure about black licorice at first but they all eventually love it.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie Thu May 27, 2010 3:12 pm

Why couldn't we ingest it - its all natural products, not like you could get a chemical poisioning from it.

I'll volunteer to be the first victim....or maybe I'll volunteer my husband...he has quite the chest cold at the moment....hee hee hee...
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:16 pm

Toxicity in horses is a lot different than that of the human body; AKA horses and us can ingest different amounts of anything and either have ill effects or none at all. Every single substance on the earth has a toxicity it just varies from species to species.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down