Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lungeing questions

2 posters

Go down

Lungeing questions Empty Lungeing questions

Post by Cyndi Fri Jan 14, 2011 6:26 pm

What exactly is the purpose of lungeing? Is it to aid the horse in balance and carriage, helping it bend properly, or is there more to it? How long do you lunge a horse? Is lungeing a horse for a half hour an "old school" thing? I don't understand how asking a horse to run in a boring circle for a long amount of time can be in its best interest, but maybe I'm missing something. Some well-known trainers will send a horse around at least ten times per gait, in both directions, while others suggest only sending the horse around a couple of times and then calling it quits for the day. Does it depend on the horse, and whether or not its happy? Do you live in the moment and not set a time-frame, go with the flow?

Sorry for all the questions! lol

Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Lungeing questions Empty Re: Lungeing questions

Post by thebitlessway Fri Jan 14, 2011 7:10 pm

Hay Cyndi,
Well, I'm not exactly sure either! But I can tell you how it is with my horses!
Let's say, my horse is needing to improve on it's balance on the ground, to help it improve when ridden. Then I would Lateral Lunge my horse. Lateral Lungeing is different to your average lungeing. With Laterl Lungeing, your sending your horse over obstacles to keep their mind working, rather then them going around in a mindless circle. So for example, having some small jumps positioned where you will be sending your horse around, or maybe some ground poles, tarps, etc. To keep your horse happy and thinking. I don't lunge my horses much, and when I do, it's Lateral Lungeing or having them go around me at Liberty, not in a round yard. Or with a halter/lead in the paddock. You have to broaden your mind, think of fun things you can do with your horse that may sometimes be challenging!
Hope this helps a little!
Grace Smile
thebitlessway
thebitlessway

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:16 pm

Thanks for your input, Grace!

I've been pondering lungeing for a while, and just came across some VERY helpful info in "Empowered Horses". Imke is really good at describing things, and right now she's discussing how to help your horse bend properly, in the right spot (bending the body, rather than "breaking" their neck while turning). What a great book. I still have four books on the go, but I may put a halt on the other three so I can get through Imke's book first!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sun Jan 16, 2011 10:13 am

Had more questions answered while browsing a website for a Chris Irwin instructor - www.symphonystables.com - the link is called "training articles". Very helpful...and there are PICTURES that go with the articles!! I love when there are pictures!

Feeling positive that I am headed in the right direction! cheers

Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down