Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARE TREELESS SADDLES WORTH IT?

3 posters

Go down

ARE TREELESS SADDLES WORTH IT? Empty ARE TREELESS SADDLES WORTH IT?

Post by thebitlessway Fri Sep 30, 2011 11:48 pm

Hi,
I have always used saddles with trees and NEVER had a horse with a sore back, but wondering if Treeless Saddles are any better? What do they offer, etc...? I ride in a Kindcade All Purpose Saddle (14"). I am interested in Treeless Saddles, but have never tried one. So, I would like to know your feedback on them. They look like a cross between a Bareback Pad and a normal saddle.
Thankyou,
Grace Smile
thebitlessway
thebitlessway

Back to top Go down

ARE TREELESS SADDLES WORTH IT? Empty Re: ARE TREELESS SADDLES WORTH IT?

Post by Cyndi Sat Oct 01, 2011 10:54 am

Hi Grace,

I've only ever had treeless saddles for Fanny since I bought her. I sold my original saddle simply because I didn't feel secure in it (even though other people love theirs and feel very secure, it just didn't work for me). I got my new saddle at the end of August and I feel much more secure in it, and Fanny has been trotting in it too, which she had never done for me before.

I think a lot of people go treeless because they have trouble finding a treed saddle to fit their horses. Most treeless saddles fit a lot of different backs and can fit a number of different horses if you have more than one to ride but can't afford a specially-fitted saddle for each horse.

Another reason people might go treeless is because it allows more freedom for the horse's shoulders to move - which may also go under the category of saddle fit. The stiffness of a tree may cause back problems and limit movement in some horses, etc..

I love the way I can feel Fanny's every move under me with my treeless. A drawback to some people is that you may not have as much of a 'twist' with a treeless than a treed saddle. I find that my legs are very wide apart on Fan compared to when I rode her in a treed western saddle at the trainer's a couple of years ago.

Treeless saddles can also be more comfortable for the rider as well. My old treeless was more cushy and very comfortable. My new one doesn't have as much padding in the seat, but will eventually get more comfy as I ride.

Whether or not you go treeless will depend on your own convictions, and may also depend on who you ask. If you ask a treeless rider, they will encourage you to go treeless. If you ask a hard and true treed saddle person, they will tell you stay with a tree.

I think a lot of treed saddle people worry about weight distribution in treeless saddles, and yet there are many people who do endurance riding in treeless saddles and score top points for their horse's condition at vet checks.

I probably confused you more than helped you, right? pirat Do some searches on "why go treeless" or "why to avoid treeless saddles" and see what it gets you What a Face If you have trouble finding anything, I will do some searching for you.

If you can find someone who loans out saddles, give a treeless a try. You can read all the info you want, but sometimes you just have to try it to see for yourself. Some people say their horses are happier when riding treeless, and move better...but you won't know for sure unless you try, and let your horse decide. Hmmm...kind of like going bitless isn't it? Wink
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Sun Oct 02, 2011 1:19 pm

A saddle with a tree only really fits the horse when it is standing still. like a human carrying a framed rucksack, the fit changes with every movement and it can rub. My horse Dancing was never comfortable in a solid treed saddle and was a thousand times better when I bought a Reactorpanel - and she is now better still in a treeless saddle. I think, like people, some horses are OK in a treed saddle and some are not.
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down