Horse ridding instructor course... Do I?

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Horse ridding instructor course... Do I?

Post by Kadi on Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:56 pm

Hi Everyone!

I am looking for some opinions to help me decide on a course I am looking at doing. So Next year I go to a new school to complete my last two years of schooling (thank goodness!) and I have to do subject selections. I have recently been looking at possibilities for being able to instruct people on bitless riding etc. as its my passion and I would like to share my knowledge! BUT if you want isurance or people to trust what you say and stuff like that you need a qualification. SO I have found out that next year I can do a cert 3 in horse riding instruction as a subject... the only thing is that They have the 'traditional' ways of doing things and while for some stuff you may be allowed ride bitless, others you can't. My question is, should I do what they all say and get it over and done with for the course then get my qualification and do my own thing, or do I just leave it?
Here are some positives:
I will be able to teach ( with insurance) when I finish the course and know group manangement and those sorta things
I can have a qualification recognised internationaly
I can do it as a subject at school- instead of doing some other boring subject!
I will get a better feeling of what its like to be a riding instructor
The Negatives:
I will have to ride with a bit Sad 
I will have to do things to horses that I normally would NEVER do Crying or Very sad   
The horses I will work with wont be my own because they are all currently unsuitable for beginners

SO please tell me if you think the positives are enough to over ride the negatives and therefore if I should or shouldn't do the course. I dont want to harm any horse or cause pain etc. But I think to take an extra step I have to do that now, to help other horses in the future.

Thanks guys! Very Happy 
Kadi
Kadi

Back to top Go down

Re: Horse ridding instructor course... Do I?

Post by Cyndi on Fri Nov 08, 2013 7:13 pm

Hi Kadi,

It looks like it's been pretty quiet in here. I think Facebook has taken over almost every group I'm a part of Smile

I see your predicament, and I wish I could help you. The positives are good, as they will make you more credible as an instructor. But the negatives go against what you feel is right.

Just how "traditional" is the training you'll be taking? Would you be able to 'soften' it a bit as you work with the horses? I do know of some people who usually go bitless, but do use a bit for shows. I suppose it comes down to how comfortable you are with using a bit, and seeing how gentle you can be. On the one hand, you can put up with the traditional way of doing things, then once you get your certificate/qualification, you can head more towards your own liking. There are many trainers who study under a certain teacher and then once they're on their own they modify it a bit to what works for them. You could do the same.

On the flip side, if doing the course goes against everything you believe, and you don't want to compromise, then you are better to pass on it. Is there a trainer you admire, that you could study or even attend a clinic with or an apprentice program? That can be costly, so unless you have someone nearby it is near impossible.

I haven't been much help, but I guess what I'm saying is that you'll have to decide if you are okay with 'putting up' with what you'll learn, or if your gut is telling you to not do it. What was your first thought? If you go with your gut, you are probably headed in the right direction.
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Kadi on Fri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 pm

Hi Cyndi,

Thanks for you reply! Hahah yeah, I have noticed the quietness, facebook definately has had a major impact!

I have talked to the lady who runs the courses and she told me that some things will be able to be done the way I prefer to do them, however certain things will have to be done exactly how they say. I think my determination to get the qualifications are enough to push through all the stuff I don't really want to do.

I supose the main thing that I think about is, I will be sacrificing a few horses (as in they will have to put up with the stuff I will do with them) to help heaps more horses which is a really good thing, but I don't know if people around me will judge me differently and think that I am 'sitting on the fence' about horse welfare etc. However, Like you said as soon as I am qualified, I can go do my own stuff and help so many more horses and their riders of course! So, the plan is to do the course and try to sneak in as much of my training in as possible  Wink 

As for riding in a bit, I am no new person to bits! (wish I wasn't!) But I haven't ridden in one for over 2 years. I am confident enough that I will be as soft as possible and if I do prac with one of my mares, as much as I dont want to do it, I can put a bit in her mouth and just ride her with my legs and seat. The lady did say that for most things I can ride bitless, but For a 'higher' level of instructing I will have to to show that I know how to use one.

So, My gut says go with it cause it will get me closer to my goal and in the future it will allow me to help HEAPS of horses and their riders!

Thanks for replying Smile
Kadi Smile
Kadi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Sat Nov 09, 2013 5:59 pm

Sounds like you made a good decision, Kadi Smile If you are using the instructor's horses, they will continue to be ridden with a bit, but at least with their time with you they will have a chance to go bitless. The instructor will let you go bitless on her horses, won't she? Who knows, you might just spark an interest in her to go bitless!

I wish you all the best in helping people and horses in the future!
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top