Long lining

Go down

Long lining

Post by Cyndi on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:23 am

Hi all. I figured that I'd just start a new discussion about long-lining, rather than having to wade through all the posts in the other discussion, even though those posts are great!!

Sydney, I have long-lined Fanny, and I really like it - that's what has me thinking about driving her. Because we have always been in a small arena, all I did was purchase the 20-foot nylon dog tie-outs from the dollar store, removed the cheap clip on them, and replaced it with better clips. I haven't tied the stirrups together underneath Fanny, but I have run the lines through them and she seems unfazed by it all. She prefers to see me, so your suggestion of walking a bit to the side really makes sense.

Do you walk your horses out on the road with the long lines? That is where I'd like to take her...with my husband leading her, of course, until she is better about being up front all by herself. I think it'd do wonders for her confidence. If I was to take her into any open space like that, I'd be sure to get proper long lines.
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Re: Long lining

Post by FlorayG on Sun Aug 17, 2008 7:53 am

Years ago I bought a yearling colt and never got round to having him gelded. Because he had limited turnout I longreined him an hour or so every day on the bridleways. One day, when he was three, I got fed up with walking and rode him home. Really, no 'breaking in' involved. I rode him every day after that.

It can give you a fantastic relationship as the horse learns to watch and listen and you learn to pay attention. You should do it, and always wear your riding hat because one day you will get fed up with walking...
I would suggest you don't let your husband lead her for long, as she must realise she's with you and not him. He can walk alongside her by the stirrup for a while to help your confidence, maybe with a very light line attached to her bridle, again more for your confidence than your control
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:50 pm

The issue I have is that besides the small arenas, there is not much else to do than walk her out on the road, which is not the quietest of roads. She will hand graze right along the road with large trucks and tractors and regular cars and trucks and motorcycles driving by, and she usually ignores them. The odd time, if it's a really loud vehicle, she'll raise her head then go back to grazing, but it could be a different story if someone isn't right there with her.

I don't know how she'd do if I was taking her out for a long-line walk and we met a fast-moving vehicle. That's why I'm wondering about having my husband lead her. If I'm "40 feet" behind her, I don't know what I'd do if she suddenly spooked and stepped in front of the vehicle. I would be on the lookout for cars, that's for sure, and would get her off the road if I was unsure of how she's react "way up there by herself". But if we are next to a steep ditch and there is nowhere to go... Do I stop her and walk up to her head and just stand there with her until the car drives by? The last thing I want to do is have her spook and get dragged all the way home...even with a helmet on. LOL

I know she has to learn sometime, so I'll just have to take it one step at a time and show some trust and take that big step.

I believe there is a hayfield that has been baled and cleared off, next to the farm she's at, so I could start out there. It might be a battle keeping her from grazing though. I suppose I could use that grazing as a reward for some good long-lining. Walk a bit, eat a bit, walk a bit, etc...
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney on Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:52 pm

I wouldn't start on the road. But yes you can go on the road.
If you do go on the road make sure you have a whip with you. You never know what you might encounter and wouldn't want your horse to try and back up towards you or get turned around.

I have long lined down the road with my mare Indigo. You just have to make sure they are confident off the lead line long lining and you are confident they know their walk on cues before venturing out. Make sure the lead person stands between horse and cars incase she jumps you wouldn't want the person in her shying path.

Re:eating grass in the field. Make an overcheck with baling twine.

Kind of like this one but tie it to the dees on your saddle with the twine. A check should be a little loose when they are carrying their head at a normal height.

http://www.smuckersharness.com/harnesses/60bridle.jpg
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG on Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:23 am

Two things;
Don't go out on the road. You're not ready. You'll be ready when you are no longer worried that she might spook. They only spook because you expect them too affraid and it's no good being brave about it, they can still feel the unease in you. So stay off the road until the day you don't care about the traffic Sleep because you know in your heart that she will be fine (like the first day I rode my colt).
Second, Leslie Desmond taught me a brilliant way to stop them grazing. You know that trick to stop a dog barking - teach it to bark on command? You make a gesture every time the horse puts its head down to graze (a soft, 'down' one, I point at the floor) and another (fast, upward, I raise my hand palm up) when it lifts its head. I swear both mine learned this in five minutes. now I just make the 'up' gesture and they stop eating and listen to me.
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney on Mon Aug 18, 2008 7:16 am

Ahha! Never thought of that one.

Indigo is a really really REALLY big pig (why I call her piggy) Shes gotta take a swipe at every piece of greenery within her head's range, and sometimes out of it as she dove randomly into a corn field the other day just to steal a whole stock of corn. We were just going along on a loose rein and she seriously gave no indication until about .5 seconds before she did it, her ear flicked at the field and BAM! we were in it. It was kind of funny she was swinging the stalk around as we rode.

Shes funny. I recently discovered her big quirk. She behaves like a little angel so long as you ride her with your hands practically on the buckle of the reins.
When I rode her just on casual trail rides with little slack in the reins she wanted to eat grass sooo much. Sometimes she would nearly unseat me to grab a bite. When I ride her on a loose rein she totally ignores it. Of couse I carry my trusty riding crop so I don't have to play tug of war to get her head up.
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down