Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cross Under Bitless Bridle Question

+3
FlorayG
Sydney
armargo
7 posters

Go down

Cross Under Bitless Bridle Question Empty Cross Under Bitless Bridle Question

Post by armargo Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:53 pm

I was brushing Jacko down today and the thought popped into my head about cross unders/overs catching in the longer hair under the jaws ......... so I'm just wondering if any of you could tell me if the cross under/over bitless bridles pull a horses hair or get caught in the hair??

thanks, Sheena Question
armargo
armargo

http://www.armargos.com

Back to top Go down

Cross Under Bitless Bridle Question Empty Re: Cross Under Bitless Bridle Question

Post by Sydney Wed Sep 24, 2008 5:06 pm

I've never had that problem. I guess any bridles could have the potential to pull hair with buckles and rings and keepers etc.
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Cross Under Bitless Bridle Question Empty Re: Cross Under Bitless Bridle Question

Post by FlorayG Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:09 am

I think any type of noseband gets caught - I always trim that bit under the chin. I think you're right, and could be the cause of some head tossing
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:55 am

Keeping it trimmed is probably why I never have had any problems. Indigo if left to grow her under chin fuzz looks like a billy goat lol
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by armargo Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:42 pm

The hair I'm referring to is the hair under his jaw/cheek bones as opposed to 'chin' hair. Basically I was wondering if the hair would get pulled with the cross under bridle parts where the two parts cross each other (for example it would be at the circle-x in the case of the nurtural bridle)

thanks

Sheena study
armargo
armargo

http://www.armargos.com

Back to top Go down

Post by bohohorse Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:45 am

I know what you mean. I think it could be possible; even fine horses can have long hair there. I get my own hair pulled by shirt collars, necklaces etc, doesn't take much to trap a couple of hairs!

I keep that area under Z's face trimmed anyway as well as a bridle path. Not strictly 'natural' but tidier and more convenient and I'm sure can't have any detrimental effect.
bohohorse
bohohorse

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BohoHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Wed Jun 29, 2011 7:32 pm

I've mentioned this in my "diary", but thought I'd say it in here as well...so that you don't have to wade through all my posts in my diary Surprised

Is anyone who uses a cross under aware of pressure being placed on the nerves under the jaw of the horse? My riding instructor said that there is pressure there if the reins are pulled. At the time, he was talking about my Nurtural, but I don't know if he specifically meant the circle-x under the jaw, or if it was cross unders in general. He and his wife feel that the nerve under the jaw being pressed on causes the horse to lift its head and become inverted, getting a rush of adrenaline, rather than the horse being level headed and calm.

Any thoughts on the matter?
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:45 am

I can see that it could be possible Cyndi. Perhaps Zoe could clarify that a bit re. crossunders? I think the Nurtural's Circle-X allows you to make sure the straps don't run over the nerve branches? I know the Miklem Multibridle (optional bit, bitless, crossunder or sidepull, quite cool) has noseband and 'throatlash' in a different place in an attempt to avoid facial nerves. It has to be done up quite tightly though (unless we're doing it wrong!), so I have my reservations. http://www.williammicklem.com/multibridle.html Its what I like about the Light Rider, it just hangs from the head, and NOTHING on it needs to be tight, or even snug.
lightertouch
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:48 am

Thanks for the input Lightertouch,

I know that Sydney is very aware of facial nerves in horses, yet she highly endorses the Nurtural bridle, so that's what confuses me about what my instructor said.

The circle x is supposed to be a certain distance from the chin area, so I'm wondering if I set it back far enough if that would be a safe distance from this nerve. I really don't know if I have the bridle fitted correctly in the first place - I've just gone with what I've watched on Zoe's videos.

I bought a set of reins from my trainer when I attended the clinic he held at his place, but I hope they're not too heavy. I used them the other day when I got on Fan for a bit, and she didn't seem to mind. They are rubber and have different colours on them so that I can be more aware of keeping the reins even. I definitely hope they are not too heavy for the Light Rider. Perhaps any weight they produce will encourage Fan to keep her head level.

You'd think that my choices in tack are perfect if you just look at their names - the bridle I'm waiting for is called a Light Rider, and the saddle I'm waiting for is called a Softrider Razz I guess it's all up to me whether or not they live up to their names!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Wed Jul 06, 2011 5:01 am

Hi Cyndi - i use the Nurtural and Lightrider and as for chin hair - Trelawny has lots but we have never had a problem with it and the Nurtural, and as for facial nerves - i guess it depends on how heavy you are with your hands - if you are riding lightly then there wont be any real pressure on the horses head (as long as the bridle is not too tight). I ride in a very loose rein and so there isnt any pressure on Trelawny even with the Nurtural. The Lightrider as lightertouch says is a great little bridle - I use this when off road in the woods and stuff - but again I dont really have much rein contact except when there is an argument on which direction we are to go in!!
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Wed Jul 06, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks Jo,

I think it all depends on the heaviness of the hands as well. I'm being taught to use light contact to start with, and then eventually I'll be able to ride with a loose rein too, especially once I get better with my seat and core cues.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down