Do you follow a 'system' or not?

Go down

Do you follow a 'system' or not?

Post by FlorayG on Thu Sep 25, 2008 6:17 am

I'm interested to know, I know some on here are Parelli fans but there are other 'systems' too. What 'system' do you follow and why, or do you, like me, make it up as you go along?
my history is
20 years BHS, learned nothing except a lot of technical stuff about gear.
3 years with a real classical trainer, learned huge amounts about real riding but nothing about horses
1 year with Parelli, learned a lot but somehow wasn't convinced - neither were two of my 3 horses, they hated it. The third one never gave me a minutes trouble anyway!
Last 3 years on my own, taking advice where I think, and training with a trainer who insists you don't do what she does but just learn from watching it and asking questions
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Re: Do you follow a 'system' or not?

Post by Sydney on Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:07 am

I've never followed one particular trainer, clinician etc.
Everything I use on my horses and others were trial an error. I watched a clinician and put it to work. If it worked I used it again if it didn't I forgot about it.
I've watched parelli and borrowed the 3 levels from my friends but I found it too much of a marketing ploy for my liking. Some people who say they are parelli followers create a bad name with dangerous stunts that have nothing to do with the system. There are others that excel in that program and do well. I picked up a few things but I don't think I would ever stick to the program.
I also like clinton anderson. I've watched him, hes a lot more about the horses and not the marketing. At least last time I seen him he was. I find his methods are like parelli's but he gets his point across 2 steps sooner and without having to buy the 1000$ worth of dvd's.
As far as those two the rest of my stuff I use to train young horses/re-train is my own or random other tidbits I found along the way and personalized them for my own.
I'm trying to create a name for myself using my slogan science over tradition.
For instance right now a gelding I am working on that has been trained for 8 months with a top trainer has nervous issues. In two training sessions I found out what his problem was and it was nothing years of training could have fixed because it was physical. Hes good as gold now and on his way to becoming confident in people when worked.
I find I can get a lot further with a horse if I look for physical reasons first.
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:10 am

I started through Monty Roberts and Kelly Marks. They don't have a 'system', and they encourage you to try anything you can think of, as long as its safe and non-violent/abusive for the horse (and preferably fun for everyone involved!). They'll tell you what they've found effective but know different approaches work for different horses. Its an aspect I really like about them. So I just steal from them and anyone else whose horsemanship and expertise I respect! Very Happy Its worked wonderfully so far cheers I'm with Sydney re. science over tradition and the physical aspect.
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down