saddlechariot

Post by mazrush on Sat Nov 01, 2008 6:02 pm

Thought this deserved a mention on the forum

http://naturaldriving.co.uk/content_2scuk.php
mazrush

Back to top Go down

Re: saddlechariot

Post by Cyndi on Sun Nov 02, 2008 9:48 am

I have been looking at those on-line for a long time, and I'd love to get one. However, I think they're about $3000 Canadian. I don't have that kind of money hanging around, unfortunately.
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by mazrush on Sun Nov 02, 2008 5:25 pm

me too Cyndi, my pony already works in harness but apart from levelling the arena, I don't have any equipment to do the jobs around my land. He watches me dragging a barrow and moving stones etc and when my kids finish with uni and paying off their loans, I might be able to afford one of these. you can dream!
mazrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney on Sun Nov 02, 2008 6:11 pm

Wow those are cool. I like the idea of safety. I've only seen one mentioned once before.

I couldn't see real well but does the guy sit? I've driven a team in a cart you stand up in. I found it was a bit dangerous if the horse spooked or you hit a hole etc.
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by saddlechariot on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:18 pm

Hi there Sydney, Mazrush and Cyndi. It is difficult to see because you can sit or stand to drive and like riding it depends what you are doing. High speed cross country, and I am talking real cross country not on tracks, you stand as you would if you were riding a galloping horse. Basically this makes it easier for the animal which is why at 210lbs I can get a 10hh pony to gallop X country up hill. Actually to be more honest I can't really stop him. He likes his bit of fun.
If I am working Henry hard with a sandschool grader set deep, or towing a 2,000lb ( yes that is two thousand) generator round Birmingham, I get off because he doesn't need the extra load. If we are slobbing down to the pub, or ambling around town, soemtimes I sit, sometimes I stand. The latest version has a soft foam floor which is better for barefoot on the beach.
And ever since I got my first Dr Cook, we have been bitless. Sometimes I use a rope halter, but now I mostly use a Be Kind which Henry took to from day one. He was easier, lighter and generally more responsive so we did all the demos at the Royal Cornwall Show with a Be Kind we had only put on the day before for a play on the beach.
" border="0" />
saddlechariot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney on Mon Nov 03, 2008 1:57 pm

I like it though the only problem with it is it can't take passengers Sad

I do commercial carriage driving and even when I am just out exercising my horses I get the odd person that tags along for the ride.

It would be great if you had any more up close pictures of the saddlechariot and how the quick release works, harness fits etc. It's intriguing but theres not enough in depth things about it to satisfy my curiosity.
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by mazrush on Mon Nov 03, 2008 3:34 pm

Hello saddlechariot. do you ever reead 'smallholder' magazine? They are asking for information on people who use ponies to do jobs on smallholdings. Sounds like your chariot is ideal. They want to do an article and yours must be the most modern way of using ponies on the land. you should get in touch with them and promote bitless. They could do with your help as the resident horse expert seems a bit old fashioned though luckily someone else has written in to flag up natural horsemeanship to solve problems.
maz
mazrush

Back to top Go down

Post by saddlechariot on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:03 pm

Sydney, it slightly depends on the size of animal whether you can take two. I do a rather weird three wheeler wheelchair version which can take two up, BUT the major advantage of the saddlechariot is the ability to go out on your own in safety, even when driving in what most people would consider impossible conditions, ie city centres with heavy traffic and Henry in a snotty mood.
This video shows the saddlechariot and the release while driving my daughters 14hh Connemara X. I hardly ever drive her, and she came to us really terrified of driving after a fairly brutal training I think as a trotter so I'm letting her muck around a bit. She's in a Dr Cook bitless and you can see the sort of washing line approach I take to the reins. When I started her in the saddlechariot she was unstoppable with appalling action down hill and on corners. Now although she isn't madly tidy, she is a fun relaxed drive as you can see as the video was all hand held by me while driving her. molly driving
Mazrush, I am talking to Country Smallholder about doing an article on using the saddlechariot as an organic quad bike. This is me putting Henry in the saddlechariot with a mower attached. Henry Mowing
I will sort out all the various working videos and put up links to them. Basdically it will do anything. In that video Henry was still using the Dr Cook as I hadn't tried the Be Kind at this stage.
Simon
By the way i must have put 40 or so green animals into saddlechariots while also introducing them to the Dr Cook or the Be Kind, or if I haven't got one of those to fit, I tend to just use a rope halter. Hoping to get a Lodge Ropes halter soon to have a play.
saddlechariot

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi on Mon Nov 03, 2008 4:23 pm

Simon,

Every time I see another video of your saddlechariot, I am more and more intrigued!! It looks like such fun!

~C~
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney on Mon Nov 03, 2008 8:15 pm

Would it be able to be made with rein terrets on the back pad?
Or does the back pad come off when you relase? see this is what I mean, I am intrigued but I don't find theres enough to answer all my questions lol Laughing
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum