Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Grieving

+3
bohohorse
Cyndi
Sydney
7 posters

Go down

Grieving Empty Grieving

Post by Sydney Thu Dec 04, 2008 6:55 pm

Many of you probably have had to let a horse go over the great rainbow bridge.

It still hurts to think or talk about it but I had to euthanise my old mare, Naigen today. She got a twisted bowel and there was nothing at her age that we could do.

Someone once said to me, the most lonely feeling in the world is having to eithanise a horse. I couldn't agree more.

I usually don't have to work on Thursdays but I am glad I did today. The poor old girl would have waited longer if I hadn't been there to turn her out and notice. I went and got her other mom and we did all we could for her. Even though she was in obvious distress she didn't refuse a banana and carrot before the vet gave her the final shot.
I am glad I could give her the best last almost 4 years of her life where she was actually fed, ridden, groomed and loved by everyone in the barn and never starved or neglected like her old life. If you want to read her story it's here in my blog http://bitlesshorse.blogspot.com/2008/11/naigen-blaze-little-horse-that-could.html

I got some of her tail so I am going to make a pair of stampede strings and a necklace.

Anyone else have any stories to tell along the same lines. I know I am not alone.
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Grieving Empty Re: Grieving

Post by Cyndi Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:34 pm

Aww, I'm so sorry to hear that Sydney!!! Sad I can't imagine what that's like. I will have to read your blog, but just reading the above post tells me that you gave Naigen such a good life. You made a huge difference in the life of a horse who was very unhappy. You should feel really good about that.

The only horse I've grieved over is the old fella at my former barn. He and his old mare friend were both finally put down last month. I had my teary good-bye with him a while ago.

Warmest thoughts are going out to you.
Cyndi

PS - just read your blog. What a beautiful story!!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by bohohorse Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:06 am

Sydney I am SO sorry to hear this. Huge hugs to you (((((((((( ))))))))))

Naigen's story is beautiful. How lucky she was that she found you and saw out her years in comfort and joy. I have no stories to share but I know others will (my old boy is still going at the age of 26 but I know the day will come ...)

Run free Naigen... she will be looking down on you and willing you to succeed in your bitless journey and your efforts to help other horses xxx
bohohorse
bohohorse

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BohoHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:03 am

Thank you both for your kind comments. She was one of the major reasons I went bitless in the first place because of the horrible noises she made breathing with a bit in her mouth.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Fri Dec 05, 2008 1:12 pm

Hi Sydney,
I am thinking of you......
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by mazrush Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:23 pm

I'm so sorry you lost your lovely little mare Naigen. So many horses in the world don't have what you gave Naigen in her last years and don't have the peace of being allowed to leave this life from the place they know best, surrounded by kindness.

Over the years I have had to let a few ponies go and watch my children grieve for them but it is a real comfort to remember that they had the best life, with lasting horse and human friendshiips. With Naigen you must be comforted by the knowledge that not only did you allow her to have a few extra years, but they were good years.
mazrush
mazrush

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:47 am

I'm very sorry for your loss, Sydney. It sounds like Naigen was an amazing horse.

Though I have yet to lose a horse (long may that be so), I have lost other much-loved animals, and the hardest have been when I was the one responsible for for them. Its awful to have to make the decision to end their lives. Still, at least we have that opportunity on behalf of our pets, would that we did for our human loved ones.

It sounds like you made Naigen's last years her best. I'm thinking of you.
lightertouch
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Mon Dec 08, 2008 9:02 am

Thank you. You are all so very nice Smile

The other day I was walking keebler around and playing games with him and we came to Naigens grave. He stopped, pawed and then before I could even stop him he lie down with me still on the lead rope. He lay there for a good 15 seconds rolled and got back up. It was like he was saying a final goodbye.
He loved to torment the old girl. She would stand in one spot whirling her tail around all angry and pony would gallop circles around her and then try and play halter tag, which she wanted absolutely NOTHING to do with. Ah I am going to miss her angry anti halter tag screams.

The saddest part was my friend who actually found her and brought her home, her granddaughters ride her once a week. They are two and three. I was telling my friend on the phone and she told her granddaughters who understand death because their uncle just died and I can hear the oldest one "Siddy, why Naigen not coming back?" in the background on the phone it was sooooo sad. They are going to have to ride Keebler now, it's just not the same ol girl though.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Dec 08, 2008 10:51 am

How touching, both what Keebler did, and what your friend's granddaughter said.

Hang in there.
~C~
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by bohohorse Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:11 am

How are you doing Sydney?

What a lovely touching story about Keebler saying his goodbyes Smile
bohohorse
bohohorse

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BohoHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Thu Dec 11, 2008 7:42 am

I'm doing alright. I haven't mustered up the strength to clean any of her tack or sort my trunk out.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by mazrush Thu Dec 11, 2008 3:47 pm

good that you're doing ok. don't rush the sorting out it feels too raw at first.
mazrush
mazrush

Back to top Go down

Post by serena07 Mon Oct 12, 2009 12:26 am

Any type of grief is very painful and its difficult to deal with this grief. I lost my pet last month and it was so painful to me. I never forget him and I pray to God may he RIP. messages of sympathy

serena07

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Tue Oct 13, 2009 2:54 am

I lost my dog of 15 years a couple of weeks ago - he went everywhere with me for 14 of those years - until he got too distressed when travelling in the truck - then he stayed at home - and seemed much happier with that arrangement. Although we knew he was on borrowed time - it was so sudden that we are still struggling to come to terms with it. You just expect them to be there - and when they have gone - its a huge hole. Everyone thinks I am mad for missing my dog so much - but he has been the only constant thing in my life, for the last 15 years. I loved him very much.
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:51 am

So sorry to hear of your huge loss, Jo!! Grieving Icon_sad

I worked in a vet clinic for six years, so I know how hard it can be to lose a pet. It's been a long time since I've lost a pet, and I'm not looking forward to when we have to say goodbye to those in our care now.

My thoughts are with you.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum