Long reining bitless

Go down

Long reining bitless

Post by Icarus on Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:54 am

I use a rope halter for lungeing and my boy goes really well, i want to start long reining now as he is ready.
My question is can i use my rope halter when long reining? it has the loop under chin for rope attachment. Or should i buy a rope halter with loops either side of the chin?
Has anyone on here long reined with the tradition rope halter? bounce
Icarus

Back to top Go down

Re: Long reining bitless

Post by Cyndi on Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:14 am

Whenever I've long reined Fanny, I've always had her bitless bridle on. I use a rope halter for her otherwise, but I haven't used it for long reining.

~C~
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG on Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:30 am

I haven't done it but I don't see why not...anything you can ride with you should be able to longrein with
You might find you need to be very clear with your signals at first, but that might end up with you having a very sensitive horse watching for every tiny signal, so not a bad thing. Try it, and get back to us, good or bad
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney on Wed Dec 10, 2008 10:25 pm

Like I always say it's not about the equipment you use but how you train...bitless just makes things a lot easier.

It would work the same way as a bosal just more flexible so yes it is possible. If you find you are not getting clear enough turning signals get two clips and snap them around the two side nose knots to make a sidepull out of your halter.
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Icarus on Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:40 am

I clipped onto the knots at either side and tried that, he was not to keen. I think too much bulk for him on his face.
So i got some baling twine and made a loop at each side of the knots and attached the clips to this and he was much happier, baling twine probably not the best to use but it was all that i had to hand.
Im hoping to do more in the next few days when the weather clears.
Icarus

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG on Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:39 am

That sounds like a good idea - keeps the heavy clips off his face, and makes each movement you make more obvious so you need to do less - like the chains on a spade bit. Try without the clips altogether, too
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down