Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hello

5 posters

Go down

Hello  Empty Hello

Post by elmayco Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:19 am

Hello,

My name's Ellen, i'm 23 from the UK. I thought i'd join this forum as i tend to get frustrated on other forums with people's uneducated views on bitless! Little about myself, i have one mare called Gaia and i work on the yard i keep her. I ride other horses there and have recently been given the go ahead to ride whoever i ride bitless Hello  Icon_biggrin My yard owner is great and open to new things, so i can do whatever i like Hello  Icon_lol

Now the horses;

This is my mare, Gaia. I got her when she was 2 from a meat farm in France. She was sent to the farm at 2 years 3 months, and had already trained for harness racing and failed her trials. I think they start them at 18 months Hello  Icon_eek Anyway, she is now 4 and i have backed her to ride, however her hard start in life has taken it's toll and she's recently been diagnosed with arthritis in her hocks. She has had treatment but we are limited to 30 minute walking hacks and she will probably have to retire within a year (she'll still always be my special girl!). That's quite a long story short lol. I started Gaia in the dr cooks bridle, then a rope halter, then nothing, now most the time just a neck rope... lol.

This is my girly.

When we could go in the school
Hello  5-20
Hello  2-23
Hello  SDC15751

On her walking hacks
Hello  1-31
Hello  4-27
Hello  7-18
Hello  4-33

Next is Khalil. He's not mine, i have him for training (handling and backing). He's a 5 year old arab gelding, and i've had him with me since March. He was pretty much unhandled when he came, so has had to learn a lot bless him! He's a super little guy though, i do ride him but only in walk so far... have to take things slowly with him. He is in a dr cooks.

Hello  2-17
Hello  9-15
Hello  8-9

Both looking silly at his first show
Hello  3-16

And here's a video
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztLKiRPY6Ck

Next is Pride, who belongs to the yard. They got her from a sale last year along with her foal who was 6 weeks at the time. Her foal is now weaned and I am bringing Pride back into work. The yard want to loan her out, and i'm actually interested myself so i may ask if i can loan her! She's a 9 year old welsh section D, i use my dr cooks on her.
Hello  8-1
Hello  9

And this is Tom, the yard owner's much loved horse i ride 3-4 times a week. He started bitless the other week.
Hello  20
Hello  13

Went on a bit, sorry hehe.

elmayco

Back to top Go down

Hello  Empty Re: Hello

Post by Cyndi Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:34 am

Hi Ellen Hello  Icon_biggrin

Welcome here! Thanks for introducing yourself and the horses. It looks like you have a wonderful way with horses, and a great partnership with them!

I enjoyed the video a lot (and the music in it - Hempfling!!). I enjoy the times when my mare will play with me like that.

I'm Cyndi and I live in Canada. My mare's name (don't laugh because here in North America it doesn't have the same meaning as the UK) is Fanny (I told you not to laugh!! - my daughter thinks I should come up with another name for her in here - LOL). She is half Canadian Horse and half Newfoundland Pony.

Looking forward to reading more posts from you!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by elmayco Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:17 am

I didn't laugh, honest Hello  Icon_lol Is that your mare in your avatar? She's lovely.

Yes i love Hempfling's music (and his work of course lol), he's been a big inspiration to me. Thanks for the welcome.

elmayco

Back to top Go down

Post by fin Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:19 pm

Hi Ellen, Love your photos and your video! You seem to have a great affinity with the horses you work with. Look forward to your imput. Must be great to spend all your time working with horses, not just your spare time.
fin
fin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sat Jul 17, 2010 4:12 am

Yes, Ellen, that's my mare in my avatar Hello  Icon_biggrin

I could tell that you were influenced by Hempfling when I watched you in your video - your body language is so much like his. I have a couple of his books, and am waiting for his latest one to arrive next month. I really want to try his method (wish his DVD series would be released already!!), and try to do a bit, but I have no idea if I'm doing it right. I learn better by watching, so that's why I'm hoping his training DVDs come out soon. I really enjoy watching him on YouTube, and would love to see him work with a horse from start to finish, not bits and pieces of it.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Hispanohorse Sat Jul 17, 2010 11:00 am

Hi Ellen.

It is lovely to have you here. I miss storries about Gaia. I love your connection with horses, bless you.
Gaia is very lucky to have you. And I am sure you are glad to have her. You can always put her in foal and have piece of her in the foal. That's why I can't sell Vi.
I often think of you but have little time to get on forums. I'll try to be better now. Hello  Icon_biggrin
I am looking for inspiration and experience here as well.
I finally got different bitless noseband for Nik (sidepull) so hoping to try it soon.
Girl that re started her and schooled her left our yard few weeks ago so Nik hasn't been ridden since but got lady that will school her and will give lessons to me as well on Friday. Fingers crossed Nikita will be good girl.

Enjoy time here.

Hugs to you and Gaia.
Monika
Hispanohorse
Hispanohorse

Back to top Go down

Post by elmayco Sat Jul 17, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks for the welcome Smile Fin, i do work part time as a cleaning in the afternoons, but as i work at a school i have summer hols soon, so get to spend a lot more time with the horses Smile

Cyndi, i've watched and read things from a lot of trainers, but he has stood out to me, some of the things he has said have been things i have been thinking etc. I do really like the way he works with the horses, and i love his videos on youtube!

Hi Monika Smile Ohhhhh i was meant to send you my spare bitless but i'm so useless, i'm sorry Sad Hope the new bitless is good. x

elmayco

Back to top Go down

Post by Hispanohorse Sun Jul 18, 2010 8:12 am

No worries Ellen. Hello  Icon_smile
Hispanohorse
Hispanohorse

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie Mon Jul 19, 2010 7:01 am

Welcome Ellen from another Ellen!! Smile

Happy to see you on the forum, I am sure that you will have lots of fun here!!

My name is Ellen and I am from Canada as well. I have three horses (QH - Stetson, Paint - Buster, and my new guy Tao, the Canadian) and I also have my two mini-donkeys, Pedro and Tequila Lopez (in my avatar) they are quite the little couple!

Can't wait to read more of your posts - you seem like you will have lots to offer!! Smile
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by elmayco Mon Jul 19, 2010 12:38 pm

Ooh another Ellen Smile I love the donkeys, i have been stopping to look at your avatar as i've been reading through posts!

Well, i asked to loan Pride today, and they said they'd be delighted for me to have her. I'm really happy Smile

elmayco

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Jul 19, 2010 6:03 pm

Great news! I'm sure she'll be just as happy to have you loaning her as you are!

Cyndi
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie Tue Jul 20, 2010 7:10 am

Wonderful news!! I am sure that you and Pride are going to have lots of fun!
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum