Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New to this site

+5
joskt0204
Sydney
Cyndi
Jo
HorseHippie
9 posters

Go down

New to this site Empty New to this site

Post by HorseHippie Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:18 am

Hello everyone,

I found this site while browsing about Bitless Bridles. Very nice indeed. I have just started riding bitless and I LOVE IT! I am also a barefoot advocate when my horse told me that his shoes really really suck and wouldn't stay sound in them. Hard lesson learned but a lesson of a lifetime.

I have 3 horses and 2 mini-donkeys and will post pictures of them soon. I am one of the few people in my area who believe in the whole non-metal attitude and have gotten into a few debates over it. But, people are scared of what they don't know I guess.

Nice to meet everyone and look forward to chatting with you! Very Happy
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

New to this site Empty Re: New to this site

Post by Jo Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:49 am

Hi - welcome and its great to hear you are barefoot as well Very Happy Where about's are you? I have exactly the same problem with people around me who call me mad because I have an 18hh shire who is bitless, barefoot and treeless. I live in Devon, UK. Enjoy the forum - there is a wealth of knowledge and experience here - and they are all great people!
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:15 am

Hello, and welcome here from me too!

My horse is also bitless, shoeless and treeless Smile You're right, people who aren't familiar with bitless or shoeless (or treeless for that matter), just don't understand. It is easier for them to "mock" our choices than it is to sit down and research it and apologize to us lol!

Cyndi - in Canada
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie Thu Feb 19, 2009 7:33 am

Thanks for the warm welcome! Very Happy

My husband, my daughter and myself live on a farm in Saskatchewan. We have a cattle and grain operation and of course, my horses and donkeys. I work full-time in the city and my husband works full-time on the farm. Feeding 70 cows with calves in the winter is a whole day in itself!

Here are some pictures of my guys...

Stetson is an 11 year old QH (grade) gelding that is my main riding horse. He is the one that convinced me to go bitless and barefoot....

New to this site 11ghqf7

This is Biscuit who is my 7 year old ArabX. His mommy was my very first horse, a flashy pinto as we never really knew what her background was. His dad is a registered grey arab. I just about died when he came out solid. I told him to get back in there and don't come out until you have splashy markings like your mom. He didn't listen.

New to this site E8kb3r

And this is my new guy, Buster. He is a registered breeding stock APHA. His registered name is "Just Earning My Wages". I just got him a few weeks ago. He will be a year old in April. He is a dream to be around. I am really looking forward to riding him. I can't wait to see what he will be like when he sheds out.

New to this site Xksldy

And I can't forget my mini-donkeys. Pedro and Tequila Lopez. Everyone should have a mini-donkey. I got them for my daughter. Pedro is going to be her first "riding horse". Pedro is the smaller one of the two. I have them run in my yard to keep the grass down and when I leave for work in the morning, this is what I have to deal with before I can even get out the door!

New to this site 34s34fb

Okay, those are my critters!
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Thu Feb 19, 2009 10:37 am

It's great to see your critters!!! They are all lovely!! Thanks for posting pics!

What part of SK are you from?!! I grew up just north of Arran. You may need a map to find that little blip of a place! It's north of Kamsack, near the MB border. I really miss living on the farm. I have to board my horse, and I dream of someday owning a bit of country property so I can have her with me.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie Thu Feb 19, 2009 11:14 am

Thanks for your kind words Cyndi!

Our farm is just a few miles east of Edenwold, SK. We just love it there as I grew up in this area. Lucky for me, my barefoot trimmer lives in my area too so she doesn't have to drive very far to trim my guys. Bonus!

Where abouts are you now Cyndi?
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Thu Feb 19, 2009 2:02 pm

Oh how cute! I love the donkeys! I want one.

Sydney from Canada here, also bitless and shoeless.

I think you will find this forum a very inviting and constructive place to learn.
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:23 pm

Sorry, I've never heard of Edenwold. What is the closest major city to you?

I am now in southwestern Ontario, near London. We've lived here since 1989.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by joskt0204 Thu Feb 19, 2009 6:26 pm

Welcome. Wow, I feel all left out, not being Canadian.

I'm also bitless, barefoot, and treeless. When people question my choices, I just invite them along for a ride - the proof is in the puddin', as they say.

joskt0204

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:54 am

I reckon its well worth bearing in mind that its really hard to be told everything you were taught was best for your horse is in fact totally wrong and may be causing a lot of harm and/or pain. Its been vastly tough for me, and no mistake! Check out 'The Path of the Horse' thread for the latest instalment on that little saga... *sigh*

Attacking/negatively criticising people for not having done quite as much work as us, for not being independent and questioning things when these are the last things our societies tend to teach us, isn't the best way to make horses' lives better IMHO. We need to educate, as you say, go out for a ride, show them the research and our healthier, happier horses.

Sorry I don't mean to preach, I have this really annoying tendency towards pomposity, especially when I'm passionate about something! Anyhoo, I hope I got my point across...

You're not alone Joskt, I'm in the UK Very Happy
lightertouch
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch Fri Feb 20, 2009 6:58 am

And yeah, I know people can be horrid about it - had some guy in a car look at Mart's head when I was out on the road a while ago, and tut and shake his head. Ignorant man! If I'd had the guts I'd have tried to talk with him about it, I just felt so bad I just rode off... This keeping horses malarkey can be damn hard work! But look at her... Arrow
lightertouch
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:28 am

The closest city to me is Regina, SK. It is about 35km SW of me, just a short drive for me to get to work!

Yes, I understand how difficult it is to show/explain the whole non-metal attitude that we have chosen for our horses. One thing that I am confused on though is treeless saddles. I will post my question in a different area though.
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by mazrush Fri Feb 20, 2009 7:46 am

hi horsehippie. love your photos. I have similar problem with a sheep and lots of chickens everytime I open the back door. I've used treeless saddles for ages and wouldn't go back to a treed saddle.
mazrush
mazrush

Back to top Go down

Post by Kodak Fri Feb 20, 2009 5:02 pm

Nice to learn about you Horsehippie. Your horses are both gorgeous and your mini donkeys...awwww! they are adorable. Very Happy

We are also a metal free home. Nice to be here with you.
Kodak
Kodak

http://www.pathofthehorse.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by bohohorse Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:28 pm

Welcome to the site Very Happy and thank you for posting your lovely pictures. Hope you find plenty of interesting stuff and support here cheers
bohohorse
bohohorse

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BohoHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down