Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

paddock management

+3
HorseHippie
Jo
Cyndi
7 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

paddock management - Page 2 Empty Re: paddock management

Post by Cyndi Wed Sep 02, 2009 4:09 pm

Yes, she's a mini (her back is probably a bit lower than my hip, and I'm not exactly tall). She's a cutie.

I went to check on Fanny this morning, to see how she was faring as the new kid on the block. I was pleasantly surprised to see that Fanny and the other horse were sharing the manger, munching on hay...with the little donkey standing between them! It was so nice to see.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Thu Sep 03, 2009 7:29 am

So...despite this being a very busy week at work (one of the people I work with is on holidays, so the other employee and I have been working every day - plus I have to work this Saturday), I have to get on with finding a permanent barn for Fanny. I am so thankful for my friend's generosity in letting me keep Fanny with her horse Preacher (and little C.K. the donkey!), but the area they are in is quite small, and I have nowhere to work with Fanny. I don't want to become a burden to my friend either.

I have a place in mind, that has like-minded people there, but more importantly, the horses are all in one big herd and have LOTS of space. I've told you about the place before - I'm very familiar with it. I will check out some other places too.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by fin Fri Sep 04, 2009 11:37 am

Hey Cyndi this reads like a soap opera. I can't believe what you've had to put up with just because you want the best for your horse. Good luck with the search for a new barn. At least you had a friend to help you out.

You were right that placing Fanny with Topper was unacceptable. Call me a cynic but do you think they were trying to get you to move away? Seems like they reacted very badly to a reasonable request.

I used to keep my pony at livery and am so glad I don't have to anymore because I can control how I keep my herd. I never had any unreasonable behaviour like that to put up with though! I've been busy for the last few weeks so came late to this post. You certainly keep the forum active! Love the new photo to.
fin
fin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sun Sep 06, 2009 7:33 pm

Hi Fin.

Yes, I do feel like I've been living a bit of a soap opera. I am really ready for things to slow down.

I know what you mean about them wanting an excuse for me to leave the barn. I think there is more going on in their private lives that made them very "testy". There have been times that they'd be in the barn, cleaning it, when I've passed through and they were having 'civilized' arguments. One time, the BO's wife was commenting that she hasn't been out with her friends for a long time. They also have the added stress of having the BO's elderly parents living with them. His mom has dementia and a heart problem, which is also stressful.

I never went about making my requests in a rude manner, and I never nagged them about it. I think that just having a difference in opinion was enough for them to resent me. Funny, there was one day earlier this spring that I arrived at the barn and felt really anxious and had a heaviness within me. I guess I should learn to heed that feeling.

I think the BO is a bit insecure (and by the comment made by his wife, perhaps he's also a bit controlling?), because there were few times that I'd be at the barn where he didn't show up, even if it was to just walk through the barn. He always seemed to need to make his presence known (very obvious when he tried to intimidate me with his presence when I was removing Fanny). It's like he didn't trust anyone. Even when I would write down that the farrier was coming, the BO would always make sure he walked through the barn.

I also know that the BO has a temper problem. His parents are living with him because he is unhappy with the care his mother received in the hands of healthcare - which is a viable complaint - but one day he started telling me about it and he really worked himself up into quite a dither, using very harsh language. I was looking for an excuse to walk away, but he just kept on ranting. Guess I shoud've clued into that too.

As far as our difference of opinion goes, the BO gets his advice from a traditional equestrian trainer, feels that what she tells him is the only right way, and has no desire to learn of anything else. It's unfortunate that he'd criticize my desire to learn more about horses and a more natural way of keeping them, but that's his choice. I'm just glad to be able to move on, even though there are times that his words do haunt me. Wounds from "sticks and stones" go away a lot faster than words that never "hurt" me. Who made up that rhyme anyway?? LOL

I'm glad that you and others in here are able to keep your horses the way that you want to. Perhaps someday I will be able to too. I'd even be happy keeping Fanny at a place that looks after horses the way I would, and I have a place in mind. I've contacted this barn and am working on eventually moving Fanny there.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Tue Sep 08, 2009 1:30 pm

Wow don't things just happen when you are away for a few days? I've been busy organising and riding on a clinic and had Len staying here so have been offline for a week and , honestly, Cyndi, can't you behave and be good while I'm not watching you? What a Face
Seriously, sounds like ths BO (har har good name for him) has anger management problems, I had the same at my last place I would be one day a great livery and another yelled at for something really tiny, you have to put up with that if your horses are happy but if they hate it as well then get out of there. Maybe you should have a talk with the lady that is boarding you now, tell her your concerns, ask her if it is OK for you to stay until you have sorted out a really good place. She sounds a nice horse loving person and won't mind you being there a while if she knows you are looking.
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:50 pm

LOL!! I TRY to stay out of trouble, honestly!!!

I really don't know if Fanny was unhappy there. The BO told me she was happy, but I'm not sure. I took Fanny out of the paddock today and played some Parelli games with her, and despite wanting to graze (she's in a dry paddock, so having grass all around her is soooo tempting), she responded really well. Way better than she did at the other barn. Maybe it's because I am now more relaxed? She just seems way more calm now.

My friend has very little to do with the horses where Fanny is (but she has a loving heart). She owns the property that the horses are on, but that's it. There are a couple of employees who take care of the horses twice a day (make sure they have enough food and water, clean their hooves regularly, etc.), but otherwise the horses are left alone. Very simple and down-to-earth people, and a non-stressful approach to taking care of the horses. They've been doing it this way for a couple of years already, and the horse and donkey look well, so I don't think Fanny will have any problems.

I met one of the guys who cares for the horses the day Fanny arrived, and today the other fellow who looks after them came over and introduced himself. Nice guy. I asked if Fanny was causing any trouble and he just smiled and said that she's a sweetheart paddock management - Page 2 Icon_razz . That made me feel good.

The property that my friend owns is a huge greenhouse operation that has a gift shop and a restaurant attached to it. Her son runs the restaurant...and he used to be a chef for the Prime Minister of Canada, so he's pretty good. Anyway, the barn is behind the restaurant, across a grassy area. Customers at the greenhouse/gift shop/restaurant like to wander over to the horses and pet them. I don't know how many have been over there since Fanny arrived, but I know how much she loves people, so I'm sure she'll be a hit. The friend of mine who trailered Fanny for me has been to the restaurant twice since Fanny's been there, and I think she's gone over to see Fanny.

My friend called me at work the other day and said that Fanny can stay as long as I want. She's welcome to stay till spring, or longer if I want. And she still won't take any money for board!! How can I say no to an offer like that? She says she has enough hay to last till Jesus returns!! LOL Since she won't take money for board, I help out there as much as I can. I clean the barn when I'm there (the barn is small and the horses are allowed into the hallway for shelter), and today I spent an hour pulling weeds out from in front of the barn. It is quite overrun with weeds, so my goal is to get it all cleaned up before the snow flies. I let Fanny graze while I work, because she doesn't stray far from me or her two companions.

I found some supplies to make a temporary picadero, so we'll see how that works out. I'd like to have an enclosed area to work with her. If that goes well, then we may never leave paddock management - Page 2 Icon_wink .
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by HorseHippie Wed Sep 09, 2009 12:19 pm

Oh, I am so happy things are working out!
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:16 pm

And you know without a school to work in, you may just force yourself to do your school work out on a ride!
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2