Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them?

3 posters

Go down

New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them? Empty New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them?

Post by Sydney Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:52 pm

Ok so two weeks ago I went to this clinic. The clinic was for these shoes. Now I'll tell you a few things about why I cannot go barefoot/use boots and obviously why I don't want to use traditional shoes.

Barefoot does not work for me in the warmer months because I drive my horses 5-7 days a week and a lot of the time that work is on rough, rocky or paved surfaces. Our paddock/pasture is very rocky and the barnyard has cement in it so the horses become very tender and worn down within a few weeks. It just does not work and cannot work since my horses make me money and they must be sound and able to work for me.

Boots do not work because again, their feet get worn down without going on the road. Secondly because whenever it does rain the things either a) get pulled off in the mud b) the horses step on them when their feet get in the mud and even with gaiters on they come off or c) They get rocks, sand or water in them and either rub or become difficult for the horses to wear without me taking regular intervals to fix them and time off my hands. Easyboots become slick when wet, which are completely treacherous on pavement.

So these shoes are made of plastic. They only cost 10$ more a pair than metal shoes, which is a real bargain to me compared to other "state of the art" plastic shoes. They provide cushion, they flex and have grips so I don't have to use studs/caulks. Here is the website easy walkers The man and lady who run the canadian/us distribution came here and did a short speel on them and one of our local farriers and the president of the ontario farrier association was here so I asked him to shoe Indigo, whom I brought and needed shoes one way or another. They nail on like regular shoes and you can get them with pads too. I bet you could glue them in a pinch.
You can't bend them with your bare hands easily but they do completely flex and with a vice you can bend them in half and they snap back into place. Because of this if a horse over reaches or gets into a muddy spot they don't pull off the shoes by stepping on them.
Before the farrier shod her I trotted her up the rocky driveway to show everyone that when she hits a big stone she is "ouchy" even with metal shoes on she does this. Sure enough she hit a big stone and did a little hop. After she had these shoes on I re-trotted her and she didn't do one step out of place. Later that day I rode her and she trotted over the big stones down the lane we used to have to gingerly step over, even in hoof boots or metal shoes. When I drive her I rarely trot her down the road but when I did she didn't want to go far before going back to a walk, not my usual warp speed gal. With these shoes because they have a little more grip she at first tripped a little but got the hang of it and trotted along smoothly without skipping a beat.
The shoes can be re-set as many times as you do your regular shoes and they flex just like the bare foot would on an uneven surface. I am very, very pleased with them.
My school really bashed plastic shoes for a wile but did a pretty good review of these and even one quote compared them to being the Nike shoes for horses.

On another note I have a brand new pair of 00 easy boot originals I dont use if anyone wants them. I want 65$ CAD for the pair (which is a HUUUUGE bargain considering they are usually 65$ a boot!). If you know anyone who wants them we can arrange shipping costs too. They were tried on my old girl Naigen once and never actually used. They are just dusty and don't fit anyone else I have.

EDIT: What the heck? I can upload images and host them but I can't link them thats really weird whats going on?

Last edited by Sydney on Tue Sep 08, 2009 5:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them? Empty Re: New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them?

Post by Cyndi Tue Sep 08, 2009 4:57 pm

Glad to hear that you found something that works so well for Indigo!! Sounds like she really likes them.

I love learning from you and everyone else in here!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them? Empty Re: New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them?

Post by FlorayG Wed Sep 09, 2009 1:31 pm

I've heard of these although I don't think you can get them in the UK. If you have to have shoes I think they are much better than metal as they flex better, grip better and do not strike cold up through the hoof. Keep us informed how they go on - and put some pics if you can
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Wed Sep 09, 2009 2:37 pm

Heres some images. Since the forum is being a pain about uploading images I am just going to link them from my blog.

Bottom view
Side view
Indigo is standing weird in the side view one because shes on the move eating grass but you can see basically how they are like metal horse shoes in the concept you shape them to the hoof and nail them on but they flex and are very durable. They are perfect for our carriage horses because they offer more grip on the pavement but not too much.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Wed Sep 09, 2009 3:11 pm

They look really neat.

Hey, nice new avitar!!! New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them? Icon_biggrin New shoes/pair of easy boots that I don't need anyone want them? Icon_biggrin
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:26 pm

Hahah thanks. I have been trying to put that picture up there forever. The thing would just not upload. I think I found out what is the deal with the image uploader. I randomly just got an e-mail saying I have been registered with servimg.com, the site that hosts the images you upload here. Maybe it was going to junk before? Anyway it seems fine now.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Sat Sep 12, 2009 1:46 pm

Sort me out will you? I want to post pics of Lightning
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Sat Sep 12, 2009 7:14 pm

Those were links of the images I had posted on my blog. Right now I would suggest uploading them on an external site and linking to them like I did.
There may be something wrong with how the HTML and BB code are displayed that images are now showing up because there is no reason for it. I do web development and I certainly am not having any trouble with any of my other sites and I upload and link images and stuff there daily.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down