Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Help I've got my horses stabled!

3 posters

Go down

Help I've got my horses stabled! Empty Help I've got my horses stabled!

Post by FlorayG Sat Feb 27, 2010 12:38 pm

today had orders from the yard, all horses have to come in and stay in until the ground dries
to be fair, they've been pretty good and it is so unbelievably wet.
But my girls are never stabled so I'm a bit flummoxed - do I need to give them MORE hay, even though there is nothing to eat in the field, than I gave them when they were out? What can I do as I can't really exercise them, I have 1/2 an hour before work when there is daylight at the moment...oh I shall be getting up at half past five what fun... Sad
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Help I've got my horses stabled! Empty Re: Help I've got my horses stabled!

Post by FlorayG Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:07 am

now it's worse - Dancing was so stiff with her arthritic stifle this morning she couldn't walk
AND i was there at 6:30 to ride and now I can't. I just have to find somewhere they will let me turn them out
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:30 am

I'm so sorry to hear of your struggles!!! I read your first message the other day, but I really had no idea how to help. Not that I do now either, but I just wanted to let you know I sympathize with you.

It'd be nice even if they had a small riding arena that you could turn them out in for a bit.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Mon Mar 01, 2010 12:33 pm

Ah, that's the downside of not being in a 'proper' yard, as you will know! we have fields, and stables, and that's IT. But I asked tonight and it is forecast to be dry this week they have said they can go out tomorrow evening IF there is no rain.
I have been giving Dancing Vetrofen and she is much better tonight - she has this regular, I have just increased the dose. Does anyone else know this stuff? it's amazing
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Mar 01, 2010 4:44 pm

I'm glad to hear that Dancing is doing better. I've never heard of Vetrofen, but now I will read up on it Help I've got my horses stabled! Icon_biggrin I always like to learn about things that people recommend.

Fanny is not a fan of being stabled. She'd much rather have lots of room to move around. She gets bored and mischievous when she's in a stall.

I hope your horses can go out tomorrow evening!!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Fri Mar 05, 2010 7:06 am

Indigo is good in a stall, but she hates it. I keep telling her if she wouldn't require medical attention and not roll in the mud the morning that we have to do a wedding/show she wouldn't have to come inside Razz
However when she did have to be in for three days after she had stitches last summer for a lacerated shoulder I would hand walk her for an hour or so down the lane and through the fields. Finally when she could be turned out during the day I put her in the round pen by herself and she exploded around like a maniac. Crazy mare.

Does the barn owner not know that Dancing is arthritic. If you don't care they are in the mud and they don't run around like maniacs all the time wouldn't it be ok to let them out for a little wile you were there?
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:09 am

oh you know how weird people are about their precious land, Sydney.
anyway it hasn't rained for a week so they are out again - Dancing still a bit stiff after 48 hours in but getting better
thanks for your concern
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Fri Mar 05, 2010 10:20 am

I snickered when I read the comment about people and their precious land. The reason I was given for Dan not separating Fanny from Topper was because until Topper "got over" Fanny's absence, he'd create a trench along the fence...which wouldn't look nice. HA!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Mon Mar 08, 2010 7:51 am

Haha I totally know. Working at many different barns in one day you get those who a) Want their horses to be horses. They are always the best behaved and IMO the best cared for. I know some of the people at my other barns would keel over seeing how muddy the horses were and how much mud they were running around in or b) want their horses to be constantly padded in bubble wrap. This one barn has the poorest excuse for fencing I have ever seen and the horses regularly walk through it. They are also OCD about the grass there and don't want them out if it's even a teeny bit muddy. They stick their heads through the fencing eating grass, step over the two bottom wires and the two top stretch over their backs and out they are. They refuse to put up electric fencing though because they don't want their horses to get zapped. Well they are smart, they'll figure out that leaning on the fencing isnt a good idea and not do it anymore. Ok rant over. I just see a lot of crap working at 6+ barns a day. Makes me realize how I want to keep on keeping my horses and how I would never keep them.
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down