Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bareback pads

+3
Sydney
FlorayG
Cyndi
7 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Bareback pads Empty Bareback pads

Post by Cyndi Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:27 am

Hello all!

I'm just wondering if any of you have ever used a bareback pad, and if so, which one was it and how did you like it?

I was looking at some last night, and the Comfort Plus - http://www.horsetackco.com/Bareback-Pad-by-Comfort-Plus.html - looks interesting. I'm not looking for one with stirrups.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Bareback pads Empty Re: Bareback pads

Post by FlorayG Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:59 pm

I've got one I got from a friend she used it when she was a kid so it must be 40 years old. It's an inch thick and wool both sides and I think stuffed with horsehair, and has a simple strap to fasten. I tried a Cashel saddle, but it wasn't half so secure or comfortable. I think you need to try them before you buy. Mine is really secure and comfortable and is basically just a thick pad with a strap.
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:01 pm

FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:51 pm

I've had a lot of bareback pads. Here's some pro's and cons of the ones I have had.

The ones with stirrups slip. They are very dangerous (back to that later)
The ones with suede are really nice but reallllllly overpriced. They make your seat stick to the pad and are mostly worth the mo ney.
Cashel saddles slide around. I hated it for anything more than a walk. I felt really insecure in one but once I took the stirrups away it was a big comfy pad, but very expensive for that.
The handles on bareback pads are also dangerous. They can make the pad slide so I always cut mine off to be safe and make sure no ones trying to cling to them for dear life.
I got one of these last year http://www.naturalride.com/ It's got a gullet so the stirrups are secure. It virtually fits on every horse I have ridden with the change of a cinch. I've done everything from jumping to long gallops down the lane in it and it stays secure. You can also make good use of the holy s**t! handle thats part of the gullet. The seat wears well and doesn't slide around or bunch up. Well worth the money. It's just like a treeless saddle if you ask me. You can buy them at pleasant ridge http://www.pleasantridge.ca/natural_ride.htm , how far are you from there Cyndi? I know it's like a 4 hour drive from here but I love going to that tack shop. Theres free shipping to non rural route addresses in Canada.
Reinsman also makes a very nice non-slip bareback pad with their tacky-too stuff. Google it, they are relatively inexpensive but no stirrups.

In all I have 3 bareback pads. One thats wool and real old. I like it but it doesn't have stirrups and does slide. One that is suede that my friend gave me that is the parelli brand. It's very well made but makes the horses sweat a lot and quick. It also does not have stirrups. The third is the natural ride and I definately would pick it any day. No sliding and you can mount from the ground without worrying about needing something big to climb up onto if you aren't nimble.
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:30 pm

Thanks ladies!

Jackie, the Comfort Plus is a "Best Friend" pad too. I was reading a review of them, and the person who did the review did mention the nylon strap that goes across the horse's back, under the pad. She thought it would rub against the horse, but it didn't. The best friend pad that you had a link to is their 'regular' pad, and I noticed that the nylon strap on it is on top of the pad, not underneath like the 'comfort plus'. Interesting.

Sydney, I am less than two hours from pleasant ridge saddlery. I noticed on their website that they were getting the natural ride in. It looked interesting to me, but it does remind me a lot of a treeless saddle, which I already have. I suppose I should just go down there sometime and check it out. Good excuse to go down there Wink I'd also like to go there and check out the special Wrangler (I think) riding jeans.

Speaking of riding jeans, have you or anyone else in here every tried the Horsewoman Spirit riding jeans? They look "sturdy" with the knee patches and all. Or are "riding jeans" of any brand just a hoax?
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Fri Jul 03, 2009 10:23 pm

They have them in I am pretty sure. I don't think they have updated their site in a wile.
Think of it as a bareback pad with a stirrup stabilizer. Bareback pads with stirrups, without something to stabilize them slip around if you lean one way or the other and can be very dangerous. Please keep that in mind when looking for a pad.

Honestly, I just ride in whatever I am wearing. I love full chaps for the summer because I wear shorts and put them over top when I ride english.
I believe the riding jeans have a seam someplace other than the inside of the leg so they don't rub and grippy material on the knees and butt to help you grip the seat better. I've never had a rub from jeans, the stirrup yes but I've been in the saddle almost all day some days. I would think they would be just like breaches only with some sort of "special" overpriced material to line the seat/knees and such. Their prices do not look bad on their site though, they may be worth a try.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Sat Jul 04, 2009 2:06 pm

Wranglers are the only riding jeans. All others have a double seam on the inside of the leg. Anyone pretending to be a cowboy and wearing Levi's is a fake! I ride in Wrangler 'Lucy' style jeans, I find them very comfortable, I get them a size bigger than my regular size to make them more comfy.
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:06 pm

I have just purchased a Barefoot bareback pad for Trelawny - looks really comfy..... so when I get it I will let you know how we get on. http://www.barefoot-tack.co.uk/barefoot-ride-on-pad-163-p.asp
I only have wranglers too! - Or whatever I happen to be wearing at the time (loose and comfy)- I am slob at home to be honest....... but no Levis - most uncomfortable jeans ever for riding!
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by nags-equestrian Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:58 am

I have the best friend pad, I really like and I can actually sit my horses foxtrot better than in a saddle with it.

nags-equestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:05 am

Oh Jo!!!! I recently saw the Barefoot bareback pad on a Barefoot site from Quebec! I had never seen one before. It caught my eye, that's for sure. Would love to hear what you think of it!!

Nags, do you have the regular Best Friend pad, or the Comfort Plus? I like that the regular one has the strap going over the top of the saddle, not underneath.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by nags-equestrian Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:22 am

I have the regular one. I really like the microfiber top, really keeps me stuck to him, even when he throws in a buck.

My guy is 14.3 and I have had to put extra holes in the full size pad to get the girth to fit properly.

nags-equestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:29 am

My mare is the same size as your horse...more or less. I was told by the breeder that she was 14.2, but while at the trainer's we measured her and she was 14.3...but with having no defined withers, we were kind of guessing where to measure her from. Is your guy round? My mare is.

Did you have to add the holes higher or lower? Was the girth too long or too short?
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by nags-equestrian Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:02 pm

The girth was too long, so had to put extra holes higher up so get it tight enough.

My boy is round, but he has a bit of muscle wastage still around his withers from before I got him. He doesn't have much in the way of withers, the pad fits my other horses as well, welshies, a cob/draft and 2 TB's.

nags-equestrian

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Sun Aug 02, 2009 6:16 am

Hi Cyndi - will certainly let you know how we get on - its looks really comfy which is why I went for it - but also the girthing system makes sense and doesnt put pressure on only one part of the spine - although as I understand it bareback pads dont need to be girthed as tight anyway - will definately let you know how we get on - its on order so should get it within the next couple of weeks - hopefully my back will be sorted out by then Crying or Very sad
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Sun Aug 16, 2009 9:10 am

Hi Cyndi, tried the barefoot ride on pad yesterday and I have to say I am really pleased with it. I am surprised at home comfy it is - and how unbothered Trelawny was with it - he's a very comfortable horse to ride bareback - but whether I am comfortable for him is another matter. I havent been on him for a while because I am having treatment for 4 locked vertebrae and riding is actually quite uncomfortable atm - but I couldnt resist trying out this pad and I would recommend it. The only thing I found was that his barefoot 'dressage' girth that normally fits his saddle was a tad too long - not a problem really - but it might mean that someone else might need to buy a shorter dressage girth to go with it. Will get some photos
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:43 pm

YAY!! Today is my b-day and Sheldon didn't buy me anything Bareback pads Icon_razz That's because he wants me to pick out my gift...a bareback pad!! Bareback pads Icon_cheers Bareback pads Icon_cheers Bareback pads Icon_cheers Bareback pads Icon_cheers

Jo, how is your Barefoot pad working out? I'm leaning towards getting that one.

I'm so excited!!!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:45 pm

I've ridden more this winter in my natural ride than anything. Well I would be in the sleigh more but we have had two decent snow falls Razz poop. I need to use my new/old sleigh I bought before I re-do it this spring.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:49 am

in this weather you could do with this one!
http://www.shop.horseholistics.com/product.sc?productId=5

oh so warm cat

get a substantially made one is all I would say, and don't bother with any fancy bits. My 30 year old one is still in regular use and it's just a thick pad with a strap.
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:44 am

Thanks for the input ladies!

Sorry Jackie, the Christ bareback pad, while fleece covered and cozy, is way out of my price range. LOL

The natural ride is still an option, and is close enough that I could go check it out.

Then there's these two that I've found. My only concern with the "Comfort Plus" pad is that the strap is right against the horse. That has the potential to be like a really tight bra strap against Fanny's back.

The top one is new to the store that I checked out. I've emailed the store to find out what brand it is so that I can investigate it further. I've always wanted to try fleece against Fanny, to see if she likes it. The price is good too, but I hope price doesn't reflect lack of quality.

BAREBACK PAD: Micro suede bareback pad with felt
center and fleece bottom. Pad features a fleece lined adjustable girth strap.
Stirrups not included. Colours: Navy, Black, Fuchsia, or Rust.

Retail
$84.95. NEW

Bareback pads Barebackpad_small

COMFORT PLUS BAREBACK PAD: The ultimate bareback
pad!

The under surface is an open weave non-slip material,
the seat is a quilted plush material over foam for comfort and the lower portion
of the flaps are a suede-like fabric. The d-rings can accommodate a breastplate,
hand hold strap or carrying bags. Neoprene girth is secured by a suede lined
nylon strap which goes over the horse's back through the inside of the pad for
added security. Girth measures 23”. Weight approximately 3 lbs. Black.

Retail $99.99.

Bareback pads 3447comfortplusbarebackpad_small
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:49 am

Wouldn't fleece right against their backs on a bareback pad be slippery? I've only really ever seen them on just a girth or just a saddle pad, not both.
Oh and from experience I would suggest finding one with western rigging, meaning you do it up with a latigo like a western saddle. I found the old one I have that just has a strap you buckle through a cinch slides around and I always had a hard time buckling it. Maybe because I was younger when I was doing it and didn't have the strength to pull it tight enough so it wouldnt slip.

The strap right on the horses back kind of says to me that its going to be a bad pressure point. Especially on a horse that might have prominent backbone/withers, not that fanny would have a problem with that though.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:17 am

I've been wondering about getting something with western cinching too, even for my saddle, because then you can get it in just the right spot. With the dressage girth, one hole might be too loose, yet the next tighter one may be too tight. There is a little attachment you can get that allows you to use a western cinch with your dressage straps, but the straps are so terribly long on my saddle, I don't know where the cinch would end up! I may end up having to buy a 12-inch western cinch. LOL

No, Fanny doesn't have a problem with having prominent withers or backbone. lol

I'm in an online treeless saddle group and one of the things they recommend for slippage issues is fleece. Strange, I know, but for some horses the fleece is better than a smooth girth. I'd like a mohair girth.

Here'a a pic of the barefoot bareback pad...

Bareback pads RIDE-ON-PAD-207x300Ride-On-Pad

C$ 125 (pony), C$ 149 (horse)

Riding without a saddle is now possible without harming your horse.
Most bareback pads can actually cause discomfort to the horse
because the girth runs directly across the back and distributes all
pressure onto one, maybe two spinous processes.
The Ride-On-Pad has a V-girthing which distributes the pressure
along the entire pad. We deliberately decided against stirrup
attachments as standing in those would lead to pressure points on the
horse.
The Ride-On-Pad is padded with high density foam in alternating
thicknesses and is very stable on the horse’s back due to the Sympanova
material on the underside. The upper side is made from microfiber which
ensures good grip for the rider even at speed.
The girthing is stabilized by patches with real sheep wool on the
underside so the girthing does not irritate the skin along the horse’s
side.
3 D-rings provide attachments for saddle bags, and a security handle
in the front is made from sturdy nylon. Girth requirements: English
girth.
Decisions, decisions...
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sydney Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:22 am

Seriously Cyndi I think I have a mohair girth you can have.

I was going to mention if your looking into the natural ride to measure fanny because she may be too wide.

Oooh I do like that barefoot pad though.
Sydney
Sydney

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Sat Feb 20, 2010 12:57 pm

Hmm...the two pics on the first post I don't like either of those - the strap is way too far forward on the first one and you will find yourself sitting on the front of the pad. The second one I agree with you both, the strap under the pad will make Fanny sore - you could say they would both make Fanny sore (oh, sorry, just had to laugh there all the English people on this site will get the joke...) Embarassed

I do like that barefoot one it looks substantial

No, I couldn't afford that lovely sheepskin one either! Rolling Eyes
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sat Feb 20, 2010 1:48 pm

Sheldon came down here while I was posting that message with the Barefoot pad, and after browsing over the pictures of those other two he just looked at me and said, "You want the Barefoot one, so just get it". What a love Bareback pads Herz Bareback pads Herz Bareback pads Herz He knows me too well. LOL

How long is that mohair girth, Sydney? Honestly, you'd let me have it? You are too kind! Is it a dressage girth? If it's not much longer than 24", I'll take it. The girth I have with my saddle is 75 cm (between 29 and 30 inches) and I think it is on the verge of being too long. You'll be at Can-Am, right? I plan to be there (but you all know me and 'plans'!!), so I could get it then. I wouldn't feel right not giving you something for it though.

Sheldon and I wondered about whether or not Fanny would be too wide for the natural rider too Bareback pads Icon_wink She seems to be dropping a little bit of weight, but she's still pretty solid.

Jackie, you little imp. If the English meaning of Fanny is the same as what I found out the Australian meaning of Fanny is, then yes, I agree that both would make Fanny sore! LOL!!! You all must just roll on the floor laughing when I talk about my horse!!

I hadn't given thought to how forward the girth was on those first two pads, thanks for pointing that out.

Now all I have to do is wait until the Barefoot rep in Alliston has the pad in stock. She said her order is being shipped out to her next week, and she'll set one aside for me. I'm so excited!!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by lightertouch Sat Feb 20, 2010 3:41 pm

Belated happy birthday Cyndi! Enjoy the new pad Smile I'm with the others on the pros and cons of all the pads. And yes, I'd imagine fanny does have the same meaning in English Bareback pads Icon_wink I'm sure we're all very good most of the time, and just don't notice any more. I do still chuckle when fanny packs are mentioned though... Bareback pads Icon_biggrin
lightertouch
lightertouch

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next