Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Treeless saddle - which would you recommend?

5 posters

Go down

Treeless saddle - which would you recommend? Empty Treeless saddle - which would you recommend?

Post by Meg Sun Oct 19, 2008 4:13 am

Hi, Ive had Zacks' back checked last week and am considering trying him in a treeless saddle after one or two issues were thrown up, but he has VERY high withers (older TB) and after speaking to a few people who use them most seem to think that a treeless would not fit him very well.
Does anyone on here have any suggestions or ideas on a treeless that might be suitable?
looking forward to hearing them.
Meg

Meg

Back to top Go down

Treeless saddle - which would you recommend? Empty Re: Treeless saddle - which would you recommend?

Post by Sydney Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:57 pm

I wouldn't be able to recommend a specific brand but try and find a treeless that has gullets. They can accommodate the higher withers.

I have ridden my old mare (high withers and swayback) in a cashel soft saddle recently. It was nice Smile
Sydney
Sydney

http://www.nurturalhorse.com

Back to top Go down

Treeless saddle - which would you recommend? Empty Re: Treeless saddle - which would you recommend?

Post by bohohorse Mon Oct 20, 2008 1:10 am

Hi Meg - Tricky one to answer really as different horses suit different saddles and of course there may be other factors causing back pain. Did the back practitioner think that the saddle was at fault? Was she or he looking at the whole body or just the back? Other factors could be imbalance in other parts of the body including the hoofs, liver or kidney imbalances or rider imbalance.

Of course you might have eliminated all these things - I don't know! But I say it otherwise if I name a saddle and it's actually something else causing the problem then it's no help to you.

My saddles are both Barefoots and I like them a lot - they are comfortable for both of us, allow plenty of movement and are the most economical. My horse has fairly high withers too. Are you in the UK? Nadja King at Horse and Harmony sells them and she is very helpful and will answer questions. In fact whatever saddles you look at I'd recommend talking to the sellers - send them wither templates, photos etc and make them work for your money!

http://horseandharmony.co.uk/shop/
bohohorse
bohohorse

http://stores.ebay.co.uk/BohoHorse

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:15 pm

Hi Bohohorse - on another topic you mentioned that you didnt get on with the Grandeur saddle pad - could I ask why? just that although I have had the Barefoot Nevada for 2 years - I am suddenly unhappy with the saddlepad - I bought new inserts for it but to be honest they dont look any different to the originals - except that they are about 3 inches shorter! I could buy a Physio pad but Trelawny has a good strong back and I am not that heavy - so other than buying another saddle - I thought about trying another saddle pad.....
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:21 pm

Sorry to butt in here, but have you checked out the yahoo treeless saddle group, Jo? The number of saddle pads used by people in there will blow you away What a Face You could pose your question in the group and I'm sure you'd get quite a few replies.

I have the grandeur physio pad. I don't need it for the weight thing either, but I figured that since my Cheyenne was my first saddle, I'd go all out and buy the "best" pad that was available through the Barefoot dealer. I had to bevel the edges of the inserts though, because I think they were cutting into Fanny's sides. She has lost a lot of weight over the winter (in a healthy way), so it'll be interesting to see how she does with the pad this year. I'd been contemplating the new physio pad with the sheepskin, or the Christ pad with the sheepskin, just to see if it'd be more comfy for Fanny, but then I run the risk of the saddle being more prone to slip on her round body. That's where the whole weight-loss thing might come into play - she's not as round as she was last year. Very confusing!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:06 am

Hi Cyndi - no I havent tried the yahoo group - but will - I joined the barefoot forum but it is so active I cant keep up with it!!
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:20 am

Just to warn you, the treeless group is usually very active too! Maybe now with the warmer weather coming, it will slow down. All you have to do is post your question and just watch for replies.

There are a couple of Barefoot dealers in the treeless group. The one from Australia has been in touch with me through email, and has been helpful. There are a few saddle dealers in there who seem to be very knowledgeable.

Let me know how thing go for you!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Fri Apr 10, 2009 8:23 am

Jo, I'm just wondering what ever happened with the treeless saddle group. Did you get the info you were looking for? I hope so.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Sat Apr 11, 2009 3:55 pm

Hi Cyndi - I have joined them but there is so much chat I find it hard to keep up!!! But from what I can gather the problems I am having arent really problems - just that he is going from winter to summer coat - and the simplest way of avoiding marks is to put a show sheen on the area. So all is well and panic is over for the time being - but I quite fancy another saddle and like the look of the Barefoot cherokee - when pennies allow!!!
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sat Apr 11, 2009 5:35 pm

I'm glad to hear that all is well. Tis certainly the season for shedding, that's for sure! I have to keep reminding myself not to put any lip gloss or lip balm on before I go to the barn, because I end up with hair sticking to my lips!!

Yes, there is often a lot of chatter in the treeless group! Sometimes you get the odd fight or two from 'rival' saddle dealers, but for the most part they are civil. I usually don't go in there unless I have a question that I'd like answered. Otherwise, it takes forever to wade through all the messages.

I know what you mean about having your eye on another saddle. I would really like to get the Barefoot Sevilla. I emailed one of the Canadian Barefoot dealers and he said that it is the only treeless saddle without a weight limit! Not that I need that, but apparently it has great weight displacement. The saddle looks very Spanish. Will have to save up my pennies too!!
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Sun Apr 12, 2009 10:18 am

ooh! that looks nice- I havent seen that one before!!! and the UK distributor doesnt seem to stock it at the moment!
Jo
Jo

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 am

Right after I posted my last message, I happened to stop in at the treeless saddle group and someone is selling their Sevilla, and it's only been used for 15 minutes!!! She said the saddle looks great, but she can't get comfy on the narrow twist. That's what I need!! ARGH!!! I wish I could afford it.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:18 am

I stumbled upon this saddle and am wondering if anyone has heard of it or tried it out. It's an Osaze Treeless Western saddle. It looks like it has great spinal clearance. It isn't all floppy, but rather 'rigid' compared to some treeless saddles.

http://kissequestrian.co.uk/products.php?productname=Osaze%20-%20Treeless%20Western%20Saddle&i=48

There's a video of it being put on a couple of horses.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ge_-VLsm794
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down