Bitless Horse Association
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Any help for my itchy horse?

4 posters

Go down

Any help for my itchy horse? Empty Any help for my itchy horse?

Post by FlorayG Wed Aug 04, 2010 2:34 pm

Please pass this round everyone you know and ask for advice - two vets are stumped for treatment and so am I after trying everything I can think of scratch I think maybe someone, somewhere will say oh, yes, I know what to do...
History; Dancing has had an itchy condition over her back and ribs for the last 3 years, worsening every year and now so bad that I can't ride her at all and have to keep her enclosed by electric fencing - still she damages herself with her teeth where she can reach. As she has sweet itch, we were all sidetracked by it possibly being another form of allergy but we (me and vets) have now become convinced it is nothing at all to do with her skin and is a form of neuralgia - basically, the nerve endings UNDER her skin are firing off incessantly, causing the itching. One vet thinks it may be post-viral, like shingles The bad news there is that in humans there is little available treatment and in horses probably the same. Does anyone know anyone who has dealt with this sort of thing or can anyone suggest a treatment I haven't yet tried? I've wasted so much money on creams and lotions but I tell you with all those posh shampoos, what parts of her coat aren't damaged shine like a show horse!
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Any help for my itchy horse? Empty Re: Any help for my itchy horse?

Post by HorseHippie Thu Aug 05, 2010 7:10 am

Oh your poor pony!! I would say give her a scratch for me, but that may just send her into another episode!

The only thing I can suggest, is find something to suppress the cause (the nerves) and then find something to heal the skin....
HorseHippie
HorseHippie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Fri Aug 13, 2010 12:16 am

could it be something she is eating?
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:38 am

I wish I could help you out, and I hope you find the cause of it. I don't know if these products can be sent to the UK, but perhaps you can at least see what's in them and go from there. If you go to the home page and click on "products" (column on the right side of the page), there is a section on skin issues near the bottom of the page. This product is also recommended for sweet itch.

http://www.rivasremedies.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=68

Also, the company I get Fan's founder supplement from has a product for sweet itch. Again, maybe you can look at the ingredients and get some ideas? That's found at "Herbs for Horses" http://www.horseherbs.com/products/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Sat Aug 14, 2010 1:32 am

Thanks CYndi but it isn't a skin condition it's a nerve one - got any remedies for neuralgia in your researches?
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Jo Sat Aug 14, 2010 5:47 am

Aloe Vera - taken internally might help as it boosts the immune system, is an anti inflamatory, anti pruritic (decreases itching) and is safe to use with other drugs. But you need good quality stuff - ideally aloe vera gel in a drink form. Its expensive, and tastes disgusting - but its really good. I used some on my dog when he had real shoulder problems - he was on it for 3 months and has been fine since. I took it when I developed a wheat allergy - it helped sort my insides out!
I would use it internally and topically. There is a useful book Aloe Vera Natures Gift by vet David Urch.
Jo
Jo

http://www.walksfarphotography.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Cyndi Sat Aug 14, 2010 7:25 am

Sorry for the misunderstanding!

The only thing I could find that had to do with neuralgia is headshaking, but nothing talks about the rest of the body. A couple of websites suggested that moving the horse to another place will sometimes help, but that's not always possible, is it?

Another site (which I'll attach a link to) suggests that exercise, wind, heat and sunlight are triggers for neuralgia. The site is interesting, as it's from the UK, I believe, and I read something about people being able to fill out a questionnaire. http://equi.net/horses/horsecare/veterinary/headshaking/index.htm

Here's another one that mentions a certain herb that is helpful for nerve issues. They are advertising a supplement, but at least they do mention the ingredients and what is supposed to work for nerves. The herb is Wood Betony. http://myfineequine.com/relax1.htm

I know it's costly, but have you considered taking a hair sample and having it analysed by your homeopath 'friend' (I seem to recall you talking about someone), to see if there are any heavy metals present that are causing the problem? I know it's working for me, and I hope to be able to afford to have Fan tested one of these days too.

I've heard good things about Aloe Vera too.
Cyndi
Cyndi

Back to top Go down

Post by FlorayG Sun Sep 05, 2010 4:54 am

Gosh you are brilliant Cyndi cheers- I have emailed that university to see if they can advise. I actually met someone who does hair analysis last weekend so I may go for that although I need to involve my homoeopath obviously as I don't want to interfere with what he is doing. Frustratingly, he gave Dancing a remedy 3 weeks ago that completely cured her - for one week. Then the itching came back and the remedy didn't work a second time. But at least it shows he is on the right track and we are trying some other things now. The problem with that is that I don't know if this condition is seasonal... Rolling Eyes
FlorayG
FlorayG

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down